UNDP and the State of Kuwait, represented by the General Secretariat of the Supreme Council of Planning and Development (GSSCPD), strive to enhance institutional capacities at various government agencies by providing them with necessary technical support to strengthen their capacities and skills to perform their expected duties.
With the support of UNDP, Two National Human Development Reports for Kuwait have been published previously back in 1997 and 1999. The 1997 report was a general report on human development, but the 1999 report was more focused on human development within the Economic Reform Plan of the Government.
With education being one of the main pillars of human development, the 2019 report theme will be on education with a focus on private education. This theme will give policy makers an insight on the private education in contrast to public education.
The 2019 NHDR has been drafted and currently it is required to include further performance of the State of Kuwait in the education sector considering the latest available data. As such, the Editing & Translation Specialist is expected to edit and translate the related analysis and report drafts.
- The main objective of the consultancy is to edit and translate the current NHDR draft in collaboration with the Report’s Lead Author and the Arab Knowledge Project.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direct supervision of UNDP, the Editing & Translation Specialist will assume the following tasks:
- Translate NHDR related reports, data analysis reports, material and documents from Arabic to English and vice-versa.
- Translate the required text from the current English draft of the report to Arabic.
- Revise and edit the Arabic draft of the report.
- Revise and edit the English draft of the report.
- Revise, translate and edit the final English and Arabic drafts of the report.
- Work closely with the Lead Author and translate/edit per the Author’s instructions.
- Ensure that the translation meets the standards of global development reports.
- Conduct proofreading and revision sessions with the relevant stakeholders at the General Secretariat of Development and Planning GSSCPD.
- Relevant stakeholders may include GSSCPD, Ministry of Education, Kuwait University and other government agencies that the government may include in the project.
- Incorporate comments and feedback from the relevant stakeholders at the government of the State of Kuwait.
- Address, apply and take into consideration the feedback of the GSSCPD and other related government agencies.
- Coordinate with UNDP in all stages leading to the final publication of the Report.
- At all stages of review, ensure feedback and comments from the Advisory Board and Readers Group on drafts of the Report are reflected in the revised draft.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Linguistics, Translation or any relevant field.
Years of experience:
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in editing and translation.
- Experience in translating and editing development reports is preferebale.
- Fluency in oral and written English & Arabic is a must.