United Nations Development Program (UNDP) works to support the ongoing peace and confidence building process by promoting initiatives that encourage dialogue and cooperation between the communities of Cyprus.
With funding from the EU and implementation by UNDP, the “Support Facility to the Bi-Communal Technical Committees" provides financial, conceptual, and operational support in the preparation and realization of small, ad-hoc activities as well as more substantive projects and interventions.
Through the assistance provided by the “Support Facility to the Bi-communal Technical Committees”, the Bicommunal Technical Committee on Education (TC on Education) is now implementing an Action – “Pilot Production of Educational Materials”- which aims to create new educational materials and to encourage teachers to share high-quality lesson plans they have already created.
Within this context, UNDP is seeking a professional Proof-reader/Editor who will work on a part-time basis to edit/proofread educational materials, such as lesson plans and training modules in English language.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance of the Programme and Communications Analyst and with substantive inputs from Technical Committee on Education, the Consultant will be responsible for undertaking the followings:
- Review and edit texts in English. The texts to be edited will include lesson plans and training modules including appendices and video transcriptions, that have been developed in English.
- Assure texts are technically, linguistically and grammatically correct and consistent in terms of completion and terminology usage;
- Carry out a final and thorough check for consistency in terms of spelling, grammar, fonts and font sizes, bullet listings, spaces, style and headings;
- Check that the heading structure is clear and logical;
- Check footnotes and endnotes;
- Check all numbering, paragraphs, headings, sub-headings to make sure they correspond to the table of contents;
- Ensure illustrations are suitably captioned and referenced;
- Check the pagination of the publication to make sure that it corresponds to the Table of Contents and Index;
- Make sure that no text has disappeared or was cut out accidentally during layout;
- Assure that texts meet high quality standards, are error free and will not need further editing after completion of assignment;
- Check that the documents include all the information based on a checklist provided;
- Deliver the edited / proofread documents in a timely manner as per the plan developed by the Programme and Communications Analyst, as per each specific assignment;
- Make necessary corrections or changes required by UNDP or its partners and re-submit corrected text within the agreed timeframe.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively.
- Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately.
- Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning & Organizing
- Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required.
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work.
- Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning.
- Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
- Uses time efficiently.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree in English, English Linguistics, Communications, Journalism, or in a related field.
- Master’s Degree in the above-mentioned fields will be considered as an asset.
- At least 2 years of experience in proofreading and editing is required.
- Previous experience in the education sector is required.