EDL Area Assistant
United Nations Development Programme, Qamishli, Syria
Closing Date for Applications:
- More than 10 years into the crisis, the scale, severity, and complexity of needs across Syria remain deep and far-reaching. Over half of the country’s population have fled their homes: 5.5 million people have sought refuge in the region and beyond, and 6.1 million people are internally displaced. According to the HNO 2020, 11.1million people remain in need of humanitarian assistance. Of these, 5.6 million people face acute humanitarian needs. Millions of people have fallen into poverty, forced to resort to harmful coping strategies and faced with increasing protection risks. With hostilities continue in some parts of the country, COVID 19 preventive measures and impact of the financial crisis in Syria, humanitarian needs are expected to deepen in these areas. In 2021 with no end to the conflict in sight, humanitarian needs are expected to continue to grow in scale, severity, and complexity. Humanitarian Response Plan (HRP) and the successor arrangement to the UNSF are expected to play a role in strengthening the Humanitarian-Development-Peacebuilding Nexus by strengthening Resilience of the affected population in Syria. The role of Resilience is expected to grow in importance and significance due to the need to accelerate the transition from immediate Humanitarian assistance to IDPs and affected population to more sustainable and recovery-oriented support, including support to potential returns of IDPs as well as refugees.
- The priorities of UNDP Syria are, as stipulated in the Country Programme Document 2016-2017 (extended till the end of 2020), to enhance the resilience and socio-economic stabilization of individuals and communities through restoring the disrupted livelihoods of the affected communities; and restoring, rehabilitating and maintaining sustainable basic services and infrastructure in damaged areas and host communities. Embedded in each priority is an institutional crisis response capacity development component for key national and local partners. Mindful of the scale of the crisis, the scaled-up, targeted, and rapidly responsive interventions of UNDP Syria would strive to mitigate displacement and movement of refugees, including forced, illegal, and unsafe migration and the trafficking of refugees, and to support potential returns of the IDPs.
- Under the overall guidance of the Area Manager of Qamishli office and direct supervision of the Economic Development and Livelihood (EDL) Technical Officer in Qamishli Area Office, the EDL Area Assistant provides adequate and timely administrative support functions to the EDL team including administrative, financial, procurement, event management, logistics and human resources support.
- The EDL Area Assistant works in close collaboration with the operations, programme, project and area office teams in the area office and Damascus to ensure smooth functioning of implementation of EDL activities in the target areas and supervises other support personnel as required.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support development of plans and implementation related to operations (procurement plans, etc) of EDL annual plans and projects
- Provide support on procurement, financial and other operational processes
- Provide support for EDL Projects implementation
- Support knowledge building and sharing, and other communication related activities
Support development of plans and implementation related to operations (procurement plans, etc) of EDL annual plans and projects focusing on the following:
- Support full compliance of administrative activities with UNDP rules, regulations, policies and strategies;
- Provision of inputs to the CO administrative business processes mapping and implementation of the internal standard operating procedures (SOPs);
- Provision of inputs to the preparation and implementation of administrative team results-oriented work plans;
- Maintain staff and projects records and ensure the supporting documents are provided.
- Assistance in the preparation of budget, delivery, and provision of information;
Provide support on procurement, financial and other operational processes focusing on the following:
- Prepare and assist in the preparation of relevant EDL procurement processes for goods and services, prepare TORs, and bidding document in accordance with UNDP’s rules and regulations, including RFP, RFQ, ITB and contract management procurement within the agreed upon thresholds
- Maintains all EDL project documents and records (hard and soft versions in the UNDP system) and prepare regular financial and progress reports
- Assists in the organization of workshops, training events and meetings; for EDL activities
- Assistance in the preparation of budget, provision of information for audit.
- Any other tasks assigned.
Provide support for EDL Projects implementation focusing on the following:
- Assists in the preparation of EDL periodic financial and progress reports and Findings Tracking Tool;
- As needed, provide training to UNDP's partners (NGOs, FBOs, CBOs … etc.) in preparing and submitting EDL budgets and financial reports.
- Prepare updated meeting minutes and reports on activities; assists in the preparation of the comprehensive periodic reports to the Area Manager, on the implementation of the projects’ activities’ progress;
- Supports mainstreaming gender equality in EDL project implementation;
- Supports the establishment and maintenance of a monitoring plan on the progress and impact of activities.
Support knowledge building and sharing, and other communication related activities focusing on the following:
- Provides necessary administrative support for effective knowledge management and sharing within the area office;
- Participates in the training for the projects staff on financial, and operational policies, procedures and processes.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Support communication related activities to document and disseminate good practices.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform.
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Ability to manage day-to-day office activities to meet operational needs.
- Issues & Analysis Knowledge of gender issues and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations, including analysis of projects from a gender perspective.
- Knowledge of accounting concepts, principles, regulations, and policies.
- Maintains effective client relationships.
- Knowledge of purchase-to-pay cycles, concepts, principles and policies and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
Learning and Development:
- Knowledge of enterprise learning and development issues, concepts, and principles.
Required Skills and Experience
- High school with specialized certification in Finance, Public Administration or any other related field.
- A first-level university degree in finance, Business , Public Administration or relevant field in combination with 2 years of qualifying experience may be accepted.
- 5 years of progressively responsible in Finance, Business, Public Administration or relevant field with relevant experience is required.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, ,,,), data management, and Presentations/Slideshows
- UN knowledge or experience would be desirable;
- Knowledge of spreadsheets, ERP system (Atlas), programme and administrative rules and regulations is an asset.
- Proficiency in English and Arabic.