An estimated 905,000 Rohingya refugees currently reside in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, over 700,000 of whom fled extreme violence in Myanmar in late 2017. They reside in refugee camps, which are among the most congested camps in the world, with limited access to basic services, including adequate sanitation, healthcare, livelihoods and education.
The refugees have put an immense strain on the Bangladeshi’s living in Cox’s Bazar, however, despite the challenges, the Bangladeshi communities were the first to respond when the Rohingya arrived and generously continue to host the refugees, and many of the local communities are now also in need of support.
NRC has been present in Bangladesh since 2016, working through partnerships with local NGO’s. We have since scaled up our presence in Bangladesh, obtaining legal registration in November 2018, allowing us to better respond to the Rohingya influx. Alongside our partners, we provide assistance to refugees and local communities through Education programming and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) activities.
Our Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate is a Bangladeshi with experience working in education. This person is motivated to work with those in need and has experience working in a humanitarian context. They are passionate a helping others with a sense of adventure, and willing to work in a difficult context.
Key Task and Responsibilities
- Assist with the implementation of Education programme activities according to plan of action, promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Under the supervision of Education Project Officer, facilitate awareness raising, sensitization, orientation and assistance activities in accordance with the standard operating procedures, guidelines and instructions
- Monitors the progress of activities of assigned daily workers and ensures they are implemented conform planning and quality standards.
- Take part in mobilization and conducting of needs assessments, studies and research using focus group discussions, interviews and questionnaires.
- Conducts outreach activities within the camps and serve as a link between NRC programs and the local community.
- Establish excellent relations with beneficiaries including understanding the needs of beneficiaries through regular visits and frequent contact
- Entry of data from intake forms and photocopying and filing all the documents related to Education activities (attendance, project documents, training materials etc.)
Key Education and Skills Requirements
- A degree in education or social sciences OR a proven capacity to work with youth/child or in a humanitarian setting
- Energetic and motivated individuals with a passion for education/youth and a desire to work with Rohingya refugees
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Prior experience with local or international NGOs in support of refugee populations is an asset.
- Professional communication skill in dealing with external partners and internal departments at NRC
- Good knowledge of the refugee context in Bangladesh
- Professional fluency in the Bangla language (ability to communicate in Chittagonian dialect)
- Knowledge of Burmese language an asset