Norwegian Refugee Council, Kandahar, Afghanistan
Closing Date for Applications:
Purpose of the Job:
The purpose of the Education Core Competency (CC) Coordinator position is to implement Education CC project portfolio. Contribute in Education CC strategy development, Implementation of Education program activities in Southern region (Kandahar, Zabul, Uruzgan and Helmand Provinces).
You can read more about the position here; Job Description NRC grade structure
Duties and responsibilities
- Line management of Education project field staff
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to Education strategy development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps
- Manage and implement delegated portfolio of Education projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from PM in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality
- Provide regular progress reports to PM and Education Core competency (CC) Specialist (AM and Education CC Specialist if no PM)
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
- Take the lead on the design, planning, implementation and M&E of the Education program in assigned area/province.
- Capacity building of Education staff for the implementation of Education in emergency (EiE) classes or other Education program related components;
- Ensuring accountable data base for Education project according to all the components of project and regular update of data collection.
- Support Education PM in the implementation of Components of the Education program
- Take the lead and coordinate with HR/Finance on the recruitment, contracts, payments of EIE teachers and other community based education staff.
- Coordinate with logistic for the development and update of Procurement Plan and BoQs
- Community Mobilization and engaging the community in activities, establishing Community Advisory Boards and in facilitating the community understanding of the overall project
- Monitor ALP/EiE classes and provide needed advisory for better implementation
- Any other task as assigned by Education PM/ Head of Office or Education CC Specials.
- University degree in Education / Management/ Development. Master is an asset;
- 6 years relevant experience in implementation of education or similar projects in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Experience of working in Education Emergency is an advantage;
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Context related skills; knowledge and experience:
- Should have geographical experience;
- Knowledge of the local language (Pashto);
- Strong management skills, including personnel and financial management
- Experience in capacity building and training of staff
- Experience of proposal and report writing
- Experience in logistics and administrative management
- Experience of coordination and advocacy work
- Political and cultural awareness and experience of working where insecurity is an issue
- Strong analytical thinking skills (qualitative and qualitative)
- Advanced computer skills
- Handling insecure environments
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Planning and delivering results