An estimated 905,000 Rohingya refugees currently reside in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, over 700,000 of whom fled extreme violence in Myanmar in late 2017. They reside in refugee camps, which are among the most congested camps in the world, with limited access to basic services, including adequate sanitation, healthcare, livelihoods and education.
The refugees have put an immense strain on the Bangladeshi’s living in Cox’s Bazar, however, despite the challenges, the Bangladeshi communities were the first to respond when the Rohingya arrived and generously continue to host the refugees, and many of the local communities are now also in need of support.
NRC has been present in Bangladesh since 2016, working through partnerships with local NGO’s. We have since scaled up our presence in Bangladesh, obtaining legal registration in November 2018, allowing us to better respond to the Rohingya influx. Alongside our partners, we provide assistance to refugees and local communities through Education programming and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) activities.
Our Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate is a female education professional in Bangladesh who is motivated to train and build the capacity of those in need and has experience working in a humanitarian context. She has a sense of adventure and is not afraid to work in a challenging context.
Key Task and Responsibilities:
- Implement successful youth programming in refugee and host communities
- Supervise Education Assistants and provide support to them in line with program objectives
- Regularly travel to the camps to support education activities
- Building the capacity of facilitators and other field staff through trainings and contributing to the contextualization of training and learning material.
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders
- Make decisions on the ground with limited or remote supervision
- Provide support to NRC activities in line with NRC quality standards
- Support Coordinator with field level trainings and liaise with partner NGOs
Key Education and Skills Requirements:
- University and/or advanced degree preferred in education or related area. Or significant experience in the field of education, youth, life skills or child protection
- Knowledge of verbal and written English and Bangla; Rohingya or local language an asset
- Solid computer skills, including MS Word, Outlook and Excel
- Previous experience supervising teams
- Understanding of the role of education in meeting the needs of HC/refugee populations
- Understanding of SPHERE and/or INEE minimum standards
- Experience working with children and/or educators; government experience a plus
- Experience training or building the capacity of others
- Previous experience working in complex and volatile contexts; ability to remain calm and professional in tense situations