Norwegian Refugee Council, Syria
Closing Date for Applications:
Duties and responsibilities
- Contribute, under the supervision of the Team Leader, to the planning, preparation, coordination, and the successful implementation and documentation, of the Children/Youth Education (livelihoods) programme components assigned, in line with NRC's quality standards, projects’ log frames, and donor requirements.
- Support the Education Technical Unit in the contextualization/revision of education/training materials, and tools, in English and Arabic, as per need and capacity for the programme that she/he is assigned to.
- Supervise the (technical) education assistants assigned, in terms of performance, allocation of tasks, work plan, day to day work, and leaves, and support them to further build their capacity and expertise.
- Ensure direct management and problem solving of day-to-day tasks and challenges, in coordination with the line manager.
- Ensure that appropriate outreach activities and fair beneficiary registration and selection processes are conducted for the implementation of the education programme components assigned.
- Is responsible for ensuring that proper and timely administrative, logistical, and financial arrangements and documentation needed for the implementation of the assigned programme components are prepared by the assigned team, in line with NRC procedures.
- Ensure the monitoring of the children / youth education programme components assigned, by contributing to data collection, spot visits, data analysis, and drafting of regular activity implementation/monitoring/evaluation reports, need-based.
- Contribute to the recruitment of casual resources required for the implementation of the education programme components assigned and ensure that their work assignments are properly managed and documented.
- May be requested to provide inputs for the design of annual plans and reports in relation to the children/youth education programme components assigned.
- Contribute to need assessments, area profiling, and initial assessments in current or new operation areas and informs decisions on area/community selection, programme response and approach, based on own capacity and knowledge.
- Can be deployed temporarily to other field locations for initial assessments, during the initiation/ planning/ coordination/ implementation/ monitoring/ evaluation of non-formal children/youth education activities, recruitment of casual resources and/or capacity building. Can be re-allocated temporarily to other positions or requested to support other education activities/programmes that require a similar expertise, as per the education programme priorities.
- Minimum Bachelor Degree, preferably in education, social work, business, finance, or any related field.
- Previous relevant experience (3 years) with Children/Youth education/Youth programmes (planning, implementing/overseeing the implementation and reporting for education/livelihoods activities/projects) – formal/non-formal education programmes (academic, life-skills and recreational activities for Children, vocational and life skills trainings, entrepreneurship, business set-up and employment for Youth).
- Teaching experience in schools or in delivering trainings and/or mentoring/ coaching teachers/facilitators/trainers (public or private schools, community centres or institutes, etc.).
- Experience in dealing with public stakeholders within the Education system (e.g. school principals, Ministry/Directorate of Education representatives, communities).
- Experience in contributing to the designing/ revision/ contextualization of learning/ recreational/ PSS materials / programmes for children or youth.
- Knowledge in pedagogy, child/youth development and evaluation of learning.
- Previous experience from working in a humanitarian/recovery context, preferably as a project officer.
- Previous experience from working in a complex and volatile context.
- Ready to travel on mission into different Governorates in Syria.
- Experience in working in Arabic & English languages (written and verbal).
- Good cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Ability to work independently in a result oriented multi-tasking and multi-cultural environment.
- Analysing and critical thinking.
- Empowering and building trust.
- Ability to handle stress and insecure environments.
- Respectful and appropriate attitude towards colleagues and beneficiaries.
- Ability to cope and support the team to cope well with change.