The ECE (EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION) Educator Assistant will be working with ECE educators on the provision of education to refugee children out of school or at risk of dropping out from the formal education system. NRC is addressing the specific needs of those children who are unable - or not ready - to access formal education by providing them with quality education and skills as well as by adequately preparing them to enrol and retain at their correct level in relevant formal schools.
NRC non-formal education programmes include:
- Early Childhood Education (ages 3 – 5) classes;
- Basic Literacy and Numeracy (ages 10 – 14) classes;
- Remedial/Homework Support (ages 6- 15) classes;
The different programmes will follow the unified curriculum and Standard Operating Procedures developed by the Lebanese Ministry of Education and Higher Education (MEHE), when applicable, enriched by NRC mainstreamed classroom-based psychosocial and life skills activities.
NRC is setting up learning centres in close proximity to where refugee communities are:
- Within relevant camps or ITS (Informal Tent Settlement)
- In community-based learning centres
- In public schools when approved by MEHE
The ECE Educator Assistant will be assisting in the overall delivery of the programme in a safe, child-friendly environment, upholding the standards of the NRC’s Code of Conduct, while ensuring full inclusion and protection of the vulnerable children as a key responsibility of this role and following NRC’s Protection Policy. The position holder will work in close connection with NRC’s Education Assistants (EAs), Education Officers (EOs), and Education Technical Officers (ETOs), and will receive a preservice training on topics specific to the context. This will also include regular mentoring and observation visits from EOs and other NRC related staff.
Teaching related responsibilities:
- With the ECE Educator, provide effective teaching and facilitation to refugees and vulnerable host community children by employing a variety of methodologies in teaching students, including demonstrations, discussions, and lectures.
- Teach basic academic skills, including alphabet, letter recognition, numbers, and others in Arabic and English or French (reading and writing).
- Lead students through creative play and hands-on activities.
- Implement and follow NRC ECE standard curriculum and enrich content where appropriate, including the production and dissemination of teaching handouts and activities sheets.
- Maintain a child-friendly and safe teaching/learning environment in the classroom while adopting a holistic approach to teaching (physical, emotional, and intellectual wellbeing).
- Use positive discipline in the classroom.
- With the Educator, assess children's learning achievement with pre, post-assessments during the cycle
- Attend educator meetings as requested by NRC relevant staff, participate in Teacher Learning Circles, develop extra material during workshops and adapt them to the need of the students, etc. in direct coordination with all relevant NRC Education Team to ensure and maintain high-quality delivery learning environment.
- Teach and educate students according to the educational needs, abilities, and attainment of potential for individual students entrusted to his/her care.
- Enhance parental involvement though positive communication channels with parents and PCGs (Parents Community Group) members.
- Utilize and protect the educational equipment, such as materials, books, and other learning aid provided by NRC.
- Supervise the students upon arrival and departure and between sessions.
- Attends all scheduled team meetings and trainings, as requested.
Child safeguarding and bus aide related responsibilities:
- Helping children board the bus safely, including helping teachers prepare for departure (putting on coats and assuring that each child has his/her own belongings);
- Assuring that the bus driver is not distracted from the safe operation of the vehicle;
- Helping children safely get off the bus and into the custody (only) of those individuals authorized to receive them;
- Ensuring children are properly positioned and restrained and the number of children is not exceeding the bus capacity.
- Engaging in activity that is safe and appropriate for a moving vehicle to make the trip pleasant and comfortable.
- In the event of an accident or emergency, assures the safe evacuation of children and assists in assuring that all passengers are transported to the nearest hospital.
- Assists in completing accident reports, when appropriate.
- Reports any traffic violations incurred by the Bus Driver to the Education Assistant/Officer.
- Ensures respecting NRC’s Protection mainstreaming guidelines and reporting any breaches/concerns to the line manager and/or focal point for proper action.
- University degree in preschool education or TS in preschool education; a certification/license in teaching is a plus.
- 1 to 2 years working experience in education or teaching (either at Primary or ECE/KG level) is a plus.
- Honesty and trustworthiness, and responsive to constructive feedback and advice.
- Ability to work systematically and organized manner.
- Ability to listen actively, understand, communicate effectively, and discuss with supervisors and parents on children's learning problems and psychosocial requirements.
- Ability to respect and maintain confidentiality.
- Fluent in Arabic, both spoken and written; French or English required according to the subject matter and area of operation.