The Department of Nuclear Safety and Security (NS) formulates and implements the IAEA's nuclear safety and security programme, which encompasses the IAEA's activities to protect people and the environment from radiation exposure, and responds to the needs of its Member States related to nuclear safety and nuclear security.
The Incident and Emergency Centre (IEC) is part of the Department of Nuclear Safety and Security and reports to the Deputy Director General, Head of the Department. The IEC serves as the IAEA's focal point for preparedness and response to nuclear and radiological incidents and emergencies regardless of their cause, and for strengthening Member States' preparedness for response.
- The IEC is the global focal point for responding to nuclear or radiological incidents and emergencies and for strengthening Member States' emergency response and preparedness (EPR). The IEC is responsible for coordinating the IAEA's Incident and Emergency System (IES) including staff training and task performance evaluation. One of the IEC's mandate is to provide public information during nuclear or radiological events or emergencies in a clear, concise and understandable manner. The main purpose of this assignment is to coordinate with the IEC's Crisis Communication Adviser and Outreach Officer to design the graphics needed to support outreach, training, and emergency public communication.
Functions / Key Results Expected
- Develop draft graphic designs, adapt designs and layouts to meet client requirements for:
- Training materials;
- Outreach and informational material, flyers, posters, brochures and fact sheets for both print and digital distribution to promote the work of the IEC;
- Design graphics for periodical publications such as fact sheets and magazines to be published electronically and printed;
- Provide graphics and imagery to support exhibits, wall displays, and outreach booths;
- Provide graphics and imagery to increase interest in social media output.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Skilled and adept use of the following software is required:
- Adobe Illustrator
- Video editing tool
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in design, communications science or a related discipline.
- Minimum of three years' experience in designing and developing communications material on complex technical topics.
- Web maintenance experience is a distinct advantage
- Excellent oral and written command of English. Knowledge of other official IAEA languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) is an asset.