Emergency Communications Assistant
United Nations Development Programme, Teheran(Islamic Republic of), Iran
Closing Date for Applications:
Emergency Communication Assistant will work in UN Security Operations Centre (SOC) under overall supervision of the UN Security Advisor and will receive technical guidance/supervision from the Local Security Assistants of the United Nations Department of Safety and Security.
The contract will be administered by UNDP.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Assist in supporting all matters pertaining to the security communications of UN personnel, premises and vehicles;
- Operate, maintain, technically support and act as control station for all UN Security Communications Systems (SCS) in Iran. Maintain permanent radio contact with all the stations in the United Nations radio networks in the country, conduct radio check exercises and guarantee efficient communications and information flow for all involved United Nations Agencies, enabling fast coordination via radio communications for operational and security purpose. Answer all incoming calls and respond to general inquiries. Keep logs for all communication records;
- Maintain all UN staff information database including lists of call signs, addresses, telephone, and facsimile numbers of Security Management Team (SMT), Security Focal Points (SFP), Area Security Coordinators (ASC), Wardens, all other UN personnel, Government Offices, NGOs, Embassies and other relevant departments. Track and report the staff on mission/vehicle tracking;
- Coordinate his/her actions with the Security Adviser in cases of emergency or security issues concerning any UN Agency or UN staff member/personnel according to DSS protocols;
- Maintain the record of the inventory of the SOC and ensure all equipment placed under his/her responsibility is in good working condition, arranging immediate repairs or replacement of malfunctioning equipment;
- Receive verbal and written messages from the SA and LSAs and where necessary circulate to security officials and UN staff members/personnel. Maintain chronological files for outgoing and incoming messages;
- Provide feedbacks to maintain, enhance and optimize the SCS networks and equipment and provide technical assistance and support on troubleshooting, maintenance and installation of all UN SCS equipment and devices, and maintain the UN Mobile Communication Unit (MCU);
- Act as the focal point to the local authorities on the issues related to the SCS licensing.
- Constantly monitor the safety and security related updates and alert DSS accordingly. Provide daily and regularly reports and assist DSS in preparation and dispatch of the summary of security incident and other general information reports;
- Provide required supports in order to maintain 24/7 UNDSS responsiveness.
Required Skills and Experience
- High school diploma or above.
- Having Knowledge in Telecommunications or Information Technology/electronics would be a bonus.
- Amateur radio licenses would be a bonus.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in the relevant filed.
- Skilled in Ms. Office, Internet, email, software and other Microsoft Office applications.
- Good coordination and control skills to act swiftly and adequately in case of emergencies, accidents, or any kind of problems with cars or offices in the field.
- Basic knowledge of the operation of HF and VHF radio voice/data systems, programming, installation and configuration of Codan and Motorola VHF/HF systems.
- Excellent fluency in English and Farsi.