Emergency communications Specialist
World Vision , Nairobi, Kenya
Closing Date for Applications:
Purpose of Position
The purpose of this position is to produce a wide range of written, video and photographic communications resources/materials and manage platforms linked to the Sustained Humanitarian Response (SHR) that helps profile and market World Vision Kenya’s humanitarian and emergency response work, both at local and international levels.
Emergency Response Communications 40%
- Provide leadership with emergency Response communications support through content creation and dissemination, ensuring information is shared among staff and key internal audiences and external partners, using appropriate platforms.
- Coordinate with the World Vision COVER Response and other Response teams to identify key audiences (funding, advocacy, partnering, influence, community) and craft a focused communication (or external engagement) plan, objectives, activities and plans to deliver and evaluate them.
- Ensure content complies with child protection and informed consent protocols and treats subjects with dignity.
- Provide communications support to promote grant, technical and sector function positioning and visibility.
- Monitor and manage reputation risk issues associated with emergency responses and comply with World Vision risk reporting protocols.
- Establish processes to deliver rapid sign-off of messaging and content in collaboration with response managers and National Office Senior Leadership Team.
- Collaborate with global, regional and national disaster management team colleagues to define key issues, messaging, and communications channels communications initiatives.
- Collect stories, write and publish over web or social media.
- Help plan and execute communications plan for the various responses in a support or lead capacity.
Internal Communications 20%
- Establish response communications systems and processes to generate content in coordination with Resource Acquisition and Management teams.
- Identify, brief and train spokespeople to ensure professional on-message media engagement that promotes World Vision’s response operations.
- Lead the production and dissemination of response reports for World Vision Kenya COVER Response and other Responses that may emerge (including Sit Reps).
- Work with Response Director/Manager and other emergency functions to provide regular updates to the National Office, region and partnership.
- With National Office (NO) support and guidance, execute required Communications Policies and Communications Strategy, ensure staff understanding and monitor for compliance.
- Regularly update World Vision Kenya’s website, Facebook page, YouTube Channel, Twitter and other media channels, including relevant appeal pages on wvi.org
Media Communications 15%
- Liaise with Support Office (SO), Global Centre (GC) and other World Vision entity communications to pursue, prioritize, coordinate, pitch, react to and manage media interviews, opportunities and content, including development of press releases.
- Facilitate local and international media visits to market & profile World Vision Kenya’s responses as they occur.
- Ensure all materials are shared via World Vision Relief, Skype chats, MS Teams and other networks as appropriate.
- Develop and update response narrative, key messages, Q&As and guidelines in order to proactively and effectively position WVK’s humanitarian crises and World Vision’s response.
- Develop and maintain key media contacts and build relationships with different media houses.
- Coordinate, plan and facilitate VIP visits from other World Vision/external partners.
- Coordinate with Security and Administration to brief VIPs on cultural and contextual issues, key messages and prepare VIPs to serve as spokespersons or ambassadors.
- Support the handling and management of all media crisis communications within the guidelines of the National Office, Regional Office and World Vision International.
- Ensure World Vision brand uniformly implemented across responses, working with World Vision partner organizations, program managers and National Office as appropriate.
- Analyses the humanitarian, media, political, security and response landscape for positioning opportunities and risk management in order to advise leadership (World Vision risk specialists) and effectively position World Vision, the response and humanitarian issues.
- Understands World Vision’s brand - ensures conformity.
- Ensures the response effectively positions itself with a clear narrative, key messages and Q&As, in alignment with the response communications strategy.
Collaboration & Networks 5%
- Participate in Trans teams and support other initiatives by partners in the spirit of integration
- Any other duties as might be assigned from time to time
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor of Arts in journalism or communications/public relations or at least 3 years (or more) relevant working experience in related field.
- At least 5 years’ prior experience in emergency communications
- Experience working with media and drafting key messages.
- English language fluency (written and verbal).
- Excellent writing, videography and photography skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills (specifically with working with people from a variety of cultures).
- High level of confidence and confidentiality.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft office and Adobe Creative Suite (Lightroom, Premiere Pro, InDesign).
- Experience updating a web CMS and creating content for social media.
- Hostile Environmental Awareness Training (HEAT) or Security Awareness In National Theatres security training (SAINT) is an added advantage.