The position is to be filled as soon as possible, with an initial contract duration until December 31, 2020. There are good prospects for an extension. Employment location will be Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
As Emergency Coordinator you will be responsible for the overall management of emergency response and preparedness operations of Welthungerhilfe (WHH) in Burkina Faso. You will oversee all the emergency related work, report to the Country Director and ensure that Welthungerhilfe’s emergency aid work is implemented in harmony with WHH’s development programmes in the country.
- Continuously analyse the changing food security, nutrition and WASH context and define new areas of intervention while linking to the ongoing development programmes where possible
- Stakeholder mapping: Donors, INGO and NGO partners as well as local authorities in relation to the humanitarian emergency
- Develop projects, oversee the implementation of projects
- Overseeing capacity building of the emergency response team
- Development of an emergency response preparedness plan (EPREP)
- Oversee WHH’s participation in food security, nutrition and WASH clusters at national and regional level
- Build relations with humanitarian I/NGOs, identify those fit for partnerships and oversee creation of partnerships and consortiums for improvement of humanitarian action
- Create and maintain a donor map and identify key donors in Burkina Faso
- Establish contact with donor agencies for emergency operations in Burkina Faso in coordination with the Country Director and the Head of Programmes
- Support other emergency fundraising activities as per the request of the Country Director and HQ
- Ensure WHH’s emergency operations are harmonized with the humanitarian response plan and help increasing WHH’s recognition as a humanitarian actor in the country
- A university or polytechnic degree in a relevant field such as development/humanitarian aid or qualifications that are commensurate with the position
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in the field of humanitarian aid and at least 5 years of experience in emergency aid
- Special knowledge of management and analysis in security contexts is essential
- Sound knowledge of emergency funding mechanisms is an important asset
- Good knowledge of the West African context and more specifically of the Sahelian zone
- Excellent spoken and written French and English
We offer you the opportunity to work in a responsible and interesting field as part of an extremely dedicated team. Welthungerhilfe attaches great importance to the personal and professional development of its employees and the balance of their work and private life. This includes flexible working hours as well as working from home. Remuneration is based on our gender-independent salary scale. In addition, Welthungerhilfe offers numerous other benefits, which are listed under "Our benefits".
Please send your application via our online recruiting system by March 11, 2020.
*We welcome applications from all people, regardless of gender, confession, or origin. In case of equal qualification, people with disabilities will be given preferential consideration.