WHO ARE WE?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home. The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
ABOUT THE JOB
Under the direct supervision of Emergency Team Leader, the Emergency Field Officer is responsible for the implementation of DRC Afghanistan’s emergency activities in the assigned area of responsibility (assessment and distribution of in-kind relief items, MPC assistance, Cash for Rent/Shelter) as guided in accordance with approved methodologies and tools and in line with DRC and donor policies and guidelines. He/she will be working in cooperation with DRC’s HUBs, protection, livelihood and MEL teams and in collaboration with local authorities and communities. The Field Officer works under the direct supervision of the Team Leader.
To achieve the overall and specific position’s objectives the job holder tasks and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinating, leading and conducting rapid needs assessments in the field using assessment tools including HEAT.
- Mapping of protection services providers in his/her area in collaboration with ERM Protection Officers
- Conducting basic protection needs assessments to identify referral opportunities and additional cash assistance if required and as per DRC’s guidelines;
- Establish good contact and linkages with other humanitarian actors in the field
- Participate in beneficiary selection processes through agreed criteria and guidelines;
- Coordinating, conducting emergency field distributions (Cash and NFIs)
- Planning and implementation of activities
- Conducting Rapid Market assessments
- Data collection, both through paper based and digital forms
- Conducting Post Distribution Monitoring (if required) in close coordination with M&E Officer.
- Produce reports on needs assessments and distributions;
- When requested, join a DRC flying team and be ready to be re-allocated for short period and with short notice, outside the normal area of operation (within the country).
- Support team leader on government liaison issues, with relevant department including; ANDMA and DORR;
- Any other tasks assigned by supervisor
To be successful in this role you must have:
Experience and technical competencies:
- At least graduated 12th, university degree is desirable;
- Minimum 3 years’ relevant experience within a humanitarian organization, prior experience in emergency responses is desirable;
- Good knowledge of the region and understand the movement pattern of the people including Returnees and IDPs;
- Good experience of working directly with Afghan communities and local authorities;
- Experience in Cash Based Assistance, Monitoring and evaluation and/or experience of survey and assessment works;
- Good communications skills; Good written and spoken English; Pashto and Dari
- Computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and report writing ability
- At least graduated 12th, a university degree is preferred
- English (good command)