Emergency Response Manager
Norwegian Refugee Council, Ethiopia
Closing Date for Applications:
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s values. To be dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable are attitudes and believes that shall guide our actions and relationships.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Emergency Response Manager (ERM) shall be responsible for leading and managing the Emergency Response Team (ERT) and associated emergency programs. The ERM will ensure quality and effective emergency response programme. The ERM has overall responsibility for the security and wellbeing of ERT staff.
Duties and responsibilities
- Ensure emergency assessments are executed and from them integrated emergency response plans; implementation and exit strategies are developed.
- Coordinate the development of all project implementation plans and budgets within the framework of the agreed emergency response programme and strategy. • Maintain ongoing surveillance of the developing humanitarian emergency situation and adjust activities accordingly.
- Ensure that different sectoral activities are implemented in a coordinated and cohesive manner.
- Ensure adequate monitoring, reporting and acquittal of emergency activities within the country, and the timely provision of situation reports and fundraising material • Ensure emergency activities are carried out in accordance with the Sphere Minimum Standards and Humanitarian Charter in disaster response, NRC values and the Red Cross Code of Conduct.
- Conduct performance appraisals of Emergency Response Team staff and ensure regular feedback and mentoring on individual performance.
- Establish and maintain constructive working relationships with other NGOs, UN agencies, host government, bilateral and multilateral donors, and other principle stakeholders.
- Represent NRC in meetings with government officials, cluster members, donor representatives, other NGOs, the UN etc as required.
- Ensure all personnel understand individual and collective responsibilities for safety and security.
- Liaise with the Security Focal Point to ensure compliance with Security Guidelines and their effective application in the local context.
- Coordinate mobilization of financial resources related to emergency activities.
- Post graduate in managing slow onset disasters, disaster risk reduction; conflict analysis; humanitarian response, climate adaptation; and program management including result-based monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience in disaster prevention, preparedness and humanitarian response, etc
- Training in humanitarian frameworks (Sphere, HAP, People in AID and Good Enough Guide)
- At least five years’ experience working for a reputable international humanitarian and development organization.
- Experience in management of slow onset disasters in a conflict or post conflict environment preferably in the Greater Horn of Africa and Yemen;
- Experience in working in multi-country disaster preparedness, response and recovery programming.
- Direct experience of working with children and young people and in understanding and responding to their needs and rights;
- Strong coordination skills in programming, resource management and safety and security;
- Ability to think strategically, but also result oriented and get things done;
- Strong planning, monitoring and organizational skills with good knowledge of the use of logical and result-based monitoring and evaluation frameworks;
- Very strong analytically and excellent proposal and report writing skills, with close attention to details;
- Documented experience as a trainer/facilitator on humanitarian issues and staff mentoring
- Experience of working with institutional donors/fundraisers;
Special Skills, Aptitude or Personality Requirements
- Confident in taking initiatives and exploring new opportunities
- Ability to solve problems and thinking strategically
- High degree of complexity in resolving a wide range of challenges
- Ability to maintain strategic link with everyday work
- Proactively organize and manage performance
- Demonstrate high level of professionalism
- Savvy, aggressive excited and energized by challenges/opportunities, contribute to positive changes and not be part of the problem complaining about the challenges
- Commitment to continuous learning and willingness to keep abreast of new developments in the disaster management field
- Ability to see the overall picture; and ability to get the best out of people and the operating environment, including people’s work culture.
- Ability to be innovative, take initiative and able to lead/work with minimal supervision.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, communication and persuasion skills.
- Flexible, reliable, culturally sensitive, positive attitude, ability to work under pressure, and a feel for the way NRC operates and our target groups.
- Ability to live and/or work in isolated remote areas.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Fluency in English language (writing/spoken/reading);
- Excellent knowledge of computer application software.
- Safety and security awareness training
- Physically fit
- Handling insecure environments
- Empowering and building trust
- Planning and delivering result