Emergency Response Team Leader
Mercy Corps, Dohuk, Iraq
Closing Date for Applications:
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Strategy and Vision
- Recognize opportunities for innovative and collaborative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to country-wide strategy development.
- Develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
- Support senior management in developing the strategic direction of the overall response..
- Oversee program start-up and ongoing program management and administration of teams across various field locations.
- Ensure that program implementation is responsive to communities and partners and consistent with Mercy Corps’ relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan.
- Ensure that beneficiaries are effectively targeted according to established vulnerability criteria.
- Develop and oversee program implementation strategies, including partnership frameworks, beneficiary targeting, distribution processes, as well as capacity building of partners as needed.
- Integrate community approaches, gender sensitivity and capacity building into all activities as appropriate.
- Ensure program implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems to reach desired impacts.
- Create and maintain systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
- Fulfill Mercy Corps Program Management Minimum Standards based on the organization-wide guide;
- Lead the program team in implementation of the response.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Hire, orient and supervise new team members as necessary.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
Finance & Compliance Management
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- Build and/or maintain operational systems that ensure proper administrative support for programs.
- Draft and/or review scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
Representation & Coordination
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Represent Mercy Corps programs with national and international media and participate in community activities as appropriate.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- BA/S or equivalent in relevant field required;
- 5-7 years of field experience in international relief and development programs, including demonstrable success in managing development programs in transitional environments.
- 5 years of senior-level leadership, capacity building and field management experience.
- Demonstrated success working effectively and respectfully with host country government, private sector, INGO, NGO partners and other stakeholders in complex environments.
- Proven skills in financial and grants management; prior experience with emergency response grant management for both private and institutional donors desired
- Knowledge of SPHERE and other humanitarian programming standards.
- Successful and proven negotiation, communication and organization skills.
- Excellent oral and written English skills required; proficiency in Arabic is a plus.
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.