United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic, Central African Republic
Closing Date for Applications:
ORG. SETTING AND REPORTING
The position is located in Berberati in the United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Central African Republic (MINUSCA). The Engineering Technician reports to the Chief of Engineering Section.
Within the limits of delegated responsibility, the Engineering Technician will be responsible for performing the following duties:
Planning and assessment
- Plans, schedules and supervises implementation of engineering projects such as: construction, refurbishment, installation, and maintenance;
- Assesses requirements for the installation, repairs and maintenance of engineering equipment and/or buildings and infrastructure. On the basis of the assessment, drafts technical or assessment reports; determines work requirements, and issues work orders and work assignments to assistants and technicians;
- Diagnoses problems and develops solutions for malfunctioning or defective engineering equipment or systems and/or buildings and infrastructure.
- Develops technical specifications for provision of good/services during acquisition phase;
- Supervises and coordinates the installation, servicing, maintenance and repair of engineering equipment and UN occupied facilities, in compliance with recognized standards and regulations pertaining to safety and installation codes;
- Supervises works carried by national, international junior staff assigned to the team and contractors in accordance with set schedules. Provides inputs related to their performance;
- Inspects and reports on construction, installation and maintenance projects carried out either by contractors or tradesmen and staff under supervision;
- Inspects, supervises and reports on waste management, water and sanitation, and environmental projects;
- Applies and ensures adherence to safety programs related to the safe operation of engineering equipment and power tools.
- Identifies resource requirements for his/her area of responsibility in connection with budget preparations.
- Assists in technical evaluation of bids and proposals for engineering projects and equipment.
- Secures equipment, materials, supplies and spare parts for supervised works.
- Reads and interprets specifications and technical drawings for construction, installations and upgrade of infrastructure. Prepares bills of quantities and costing for engineering projects.
- Supervises the maintenance of records relating to inventories, work orders and general correspondence.
- Reviews and approves work orders and assigns tasks to tradesmen and technicians being supervised.
- Verifies progress or completion of engineering projects and recommends to the Chief of Section for partial or final payments.
- Follows up on correction of defects in material or workmanship of contractor's work during the warranty period of the contracts.
- Performs other duties as required.
- A High school diploma or equivalent is required. Technical or vocational certificate/diploma in Civil or Environmental Engineering Technology, construction, project management or in a relevant engineering discipline is required. Certification in PRINCE2 Foundations and similar Project Management certificate is desirable
- At least eight (08) years of relevant experience in the field of engineering and construction are required.
- Experience providing services in the field of engineering to or in a field operation of the United Nations Common System or a comparable international organization is desirable.
- Experience in international operations in a post conflict environment is desirable.
- Experience in preparation of scope of works and technical specifications, project document is desirable.
- Experience in acquisition planning , procurement and contract management is desirable.