English as an Additional Language (EAL) Specialist
Aga Khan Foundation, India
Closing Date for Applications:
About the Organization:
The Aga Khan Foundation brings together human, financial and technical resources to address some of the challenges faced by the poorest and most marginalised communities in the world. Special emphasis is placed on investing in human potential, expanding opportunity and improving the overall quality of life, especially for women and girls.
The EAL Specialist will empower students whose English language repertoire lies significantly below that of the grade average. S/he will do this by identifying students in need, and developing and implementing programmes to address those needs, including training of staff
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- To support students’ development of English language proficiency enabling the students to access the curriculum just as those able in English language can do.
- Assess English competency level and provide matched support eg with an IEP.
- Prepare the student for mainstream learning and in developing the appropriate skills and strategies needed, including setting targets.
- Emphasise oral language development across the curriculum
- Work intensively with individuals or groups on specific aspects of cognitive and language development
- Work closely with the students’ classroom/subject teachers, sharing planning etc
- Prepare learning resources eg for differentiation to enable mainstreaming
- Monitor and evaluate student progress and contribute to policy development.
- Communicate student progress and liaise between home and academy especially on cross phase transition
- Communicate effectively with parents keeping them both informed of progress and knowledgeable about phase levels and transitioning.
- Maintain records of attainment & activities and write reports.
- Maintain confidentiality and observe data protection guidelines.
- Contribute to staff professional development, enhancing awareness of EAL methods and student needs.
- Liaise with the Learning Support department where appropriate.
- Implement academy policies on screening and selecting students eg. for supplementary teaching.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject & teaching qualification with atleast 5 years’ experience in IB.