Enterprise Development/Marketing Specialist
Food and Agriculture Organization, Cotabato, Philippines
Closing Date for Applications:
FAO’s approach to development assistance in Mindanao focuses on supporting the rehabilitation of agriculture and fisheries-based livelihoods, accelerating agriculture-based enterprises and increasing access to sustainable energy, and resilience to risk in municipalities affected by natural disasters and conflict.
FAO interventions will include, among others:
- Introduction of various productivity enhancing technologies to improve household incomes and promote sustainable agricultural practices.
- Technical assistance to government in reviewing existing policies that promote equitable agribusiness venture arrangements between farmers and agribusiness firms and capacity building activities for farmers that are anchored on the value chain approach.
- Capacity building on enterprise development and agribusiness that will allow farmers, fisherfolk and local government units to maximize potential market opportunities.
- Restoring and increasing the productivity of agriculture and fisheries-based livelihoods of smallholder farmers and marginalized fishers, decommissioned Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) combatants and their families.
- Enhancing the competitiveness of farm households, particularly women, to establish and manage microenterprises.
- Facilitating the establishment of agribusiness enterprises with production-market contract agreements or similar arrangements.
- The Enterprise Development/Marketing Specialist will be under the overall guidance of the FAO Representative, the direct supervision of the Assistant FAO Representative (Programme), day to day guidance of the Head of the Mindanao and Emergency Response and Preparedness Group (MERG), and the Project Team Leader.
- FAO has been implementing various projects in Mindanao, which are guided by the FAO Mindanao Strategic Programme for Agriculture/Agribusiness (MSPAA), which is in line with the Bangsamoro Development Plan (BDP, 2015). One of the projects being implemented in Mindanao supported by the Government of New Zealand is the project entitled “Support to agri-based livelihoods and agribusiness enterprises for sustainable peace and development in Maguindanao and Cotabato”. The overall objective of the project aims to contribute to the development of agriculture and agribusiness in the priority provinces of
- Maguindanao and Cotabato in Mindanao to reduce poverty and ultimately result in inclusive growth as well as
- sustaining peace and development in the region.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Enterprise Development/Marketing Specialist will carry out the following tasks:
- Review conducted value chain analyses in Mindanao and identify gaps in the value chain and conduct market studies to ensure that proposed commodities/enterprises will have markets/buyers/takers;
- Review past and on-going programs on agribusiness and enterprise development to benchmark practices and identify approaches to strengthen and enhance private sector participation to scale up identified enterprise models, emerging ones and other potential market-led enterprises appropriate for areas affected by natural and human-induced disasters;
- In coordination with implementing partners, take lead in the development of a socio-economic model for durable solutions in transforming conflict-affected communities into productive agro-economic areas incorporating lenses of peace, social cohesion, trust and resiliency in collaboration with relevant government and other partners;
- Coordinate with relevant government agencies including, among others the Department of Agriculture Regional Field Office 12 (DA-RFO 12) Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Agrarian Reform – Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (MAFAR-BARMM), Department of Trade and Industry (DTI), Department of Science and Technology (DOST), Ministry of Trade, Investment and Tourism (MTIT), Ministry of Science and Technology (MST) and provincial and municipal local government units (LGUs) and other key counterparts, to ensure coherent designing of programmes and interventions by all actors;
- In collaboration with partner agencies DA-RFO 12, MAFAR-BARMM, develop tools necessary in capturing inputs and information from various stakeholder involved for a more collaborative project planning;
- Assist provincial and municipal LGUs and other key counterparts in the formulation of policies for creating an enabling environment for promoting an inclusive economic growth focusing on enterprise/agri-business, more inclusive and demand-driven value chains and investment in post-conflict situation;
- Assist in the identification of capacity building needs based on the identified gaps in the value chain;
- Assist in the preparation of modules/templates for business continuity plan of targeted community-based organizations;
- Carry out facilitation activities such as market linking or market encounters to ensure that product of project beneficiaries find their way into the mainstream market outlets;
- Organize the participation of community-based organizations, farmer beneficiaries in trade fairs, exhibits and market missions;
- Carry out capacity training in value added products including start up and management of their enterprise;
- Assist the Project Team Leader in project implementation, operation, including project monitoring and reporting; and
- Carry out any other relevant duties within his/her technical competence as may be requested by FAO.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced University degree in agribusiness, agricultural economics, development economics or any other field related to the work of the FAO.
- At least five (5) years of relevant work experience in agricultural enterprise development, agribusiness development, and/or project implementation in an area of FAO's activities in the country.
- A national of the Philippines.