The World Bank, Monrovia, Liberia
Closing Date for Applications:
Duties and Accountabilities:
- The World Bank Group (WBG) is seeking to locally recruit a highly qualified Environmental Specialist to be based in the World Bank Country Office in Monrovia, Liberia to contribute to the business lines of the Global Practice on environmental and natural resources management.
- The Specialist will play an essential role in the design and implementation of Liberia’s REDD+ Strategy Program supported through the partnership between the Government of Liberia and the Government of Norway and the FCPF.
- S/he will support the Country Management Unit (CMU) in the implementation of the World Bank’s REDD+ and NRM program, being responsible for the monitoring and assessment of NRM program in Liberia and contributing to the preparation and supervision of the REDD+ program supported by the Government of Norway and the FCPF.
- S/he will work closely with the Africa REDD+ Program Coordinator and the Senior Forests Specialist for Liberia.
- The Environment Specialist will be part of a dynamic team of environment and natural resources management specialists working in the Global Practice. He/she will also provide technical expertise on a variety of environmental issues related to investment operations, development policy operations, and other instruments, such as Technical Assistance and other AAAs, including with regard to forests, biodiversity, climate change, natural resources management and green and inclusive growth.
The Environment specialist will have the following main tasks and responsibilities:
- Participate as a team member in the preparation and/or supervision of the activities related to the country’s REDD+ Program including the activities supported by the Government of Norway as well as other activities involving natural resources management. The duties will include participating and providing leading support in identification and supervision missions; supporting policy dialogue; maintaining regular dialogue with the client and development partners working in REDD+; and contributing to BTORs and Aide Memoires.
- Work in hand with the Liberia Forest Development Authority (FDA) on project implementation activities, spending substantial amount of time in mentoring and jointly working with FDA to ensure the project implementation on track.
- Provide advice to client and counterpart organizations, project teams and GP management on technical natural resources management matters (with an emphasis in forests, biodiversity conservation and climate change themes);
- Supervise the work of consultants and technical specialists to ensure consistency and conformity to Bank standards; evaluates studies and project documentation;
- Advice and assist task teams in maintaining policy dialogue and technical coordination between the Liberian national counterparts and the teams working in Liberia;
- Facilitate and maintain effective communication with the local partners, NGOs, civil society, the private sector as well as specialized international organizations active in the Forest Sector in Liberia;
- Advise and assist TTL and task team in coordinating work products, dialogues and financing opportunities in consultation with
- development partners;
- Prepare briefs and analytical notes, and contribute to the writing of environmental sections in analytical reports, preparation documents, risk analysis and legal documents, in particular for reporting to Norway and other donors on the REDD+ program;
- Employ appropriate methodologies for handling simple and complex procurement tasks and/or issues;
- Coordinate and carry out other tasks as needed to advance the overall environment/NRM/climate change portfolio in Liberia.
In addition to meeting Bank-wide Grade GF level positions, it is expected that the successful candidate will meet the following selection criteria:
- Master’s Degree in Environment, Natural Resources Management or equivalent
- Documented evidence of at least ten years of professional experience with similar assignments
- Demonstrated skills in integrating landscape management approaches into a package of solutions to achieve development results;
- Demonstrated project management /operational skills and familiarity with Bank procedures and business practices
- Demonstrated ability to lead discussions at the policy and operational levels in the following areas: environmental management, environmental sector policy, REDD+, forestry or integrated development planning, community natural resources management or climate change mitigation or adaption;
- Demonstrated client orientation through identifying, evaluating, and addressing strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats to assist with delivery beyond client expectations;
- Ability to function effectively in a multi-cultural environment with government officials and equivalent contacts in international organizations, partner entities, etc.
- Demonstrated capacity to understand the political economy and local context, as well as leading expertise on Liberia’s natural resource status, trajectory, and solutions;
- Strong inter-personal and communication skills with proven experience in dealing with local, national, and international stakeholders involved in natural resource management, forestry, agricultural development, and climate change.
- Ability to handle tasks independently and work in teams
- Excellent professional written and oral communication skills in English
- Willingness to travel in rural provinces of Liberia if necessary.