World Health Organization, Cox's Bazaar, Bangladesh
Closing Date for Applications:
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The mission of WHO's Health Emergencies Programme (The Programme) is to help countries, and to coordinator international action, to prevent, prepare for, detect, rapidly respond to, and recover from outbreaks and emergencies.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the overall guidance of the Incident Manager(IM), and direct supervision of the Administrative and Finance Officer in Cox'sBazar, the incumbent will carry out the following duties:
- Assist in administrative and financial aspects of planning implementation and execution of the WHE programme in Cox's Bazar. Brief and guide staff and managers about the WHO administrative & financial procedures relating to the field expenses of various categories.
- Monitor banking, imprest and cash management and operation of the bank accounts,including their replenishment and periodic submission of accounts or returns to SEARO as directed, ensuring honesty, integrity and accuracy of payments,vouchers and records maintained; Responsible for submission of monthly statement of operational expenses made by SMOs and Coordinators to the Regional Office;
- Provides support and assistance in budget preparation/monitoring and accounting of expenses of various categories of the programme. Maintain follow-up list of all SMOs/Consultants operational costs and timely replenishment of laboratory expenses every week;4. Guide and brief staff assigned to the Programme in the accounting procedures, in the preparation and submission of account statements, on budgetary/financial and other monetary matters with required documentation and according to WHO rules and regulations and as may be required by the WR/AO/Technical Officer or other professional/Operational officers assigned to the Programme;
- Responsible for scrutinizing and accounting of operational cost & per diem of Staff,consultants, SSAs including drivers & and timely replenishment of cost to Surveillance Medical Officers (SMOs)/Consultants and day-to-day settlement of various bills;
- Responsible for maintaining of advance list for advances to SMOs and assistance in solving queries raised by SMOs relating to financial matters;
- Preparation of financial reports and returns. Update GSM of the programme at the request of WHO Representative (WR)/Administrative Officer (AO)/IM in accordance with WHO rules, procedures and policies;
- Maintenance of files and records of field expenses and other programme documents;
- Perform any other related incident-specific duties, as required by the functional supervisor.
- Essential: Secondary School education with specialization in budgeting and accounting.
- Desirable: University degree in business administration, finance, accounting, or public administration. Professional qualification or license in accounting/ accountancy is advantageous.
- Essential: At least 5 years'experience in account/finance work.
- Desirable: Prior experience in supporting emergency or health outbreak operations at the field level.
- Good knowledge and understanding of WHO Financial Regulations and Rules, eManual provisions, WHO's automated accounting system (GSM)/e-Imprest), accounting principles in general, knowledge of Excel spreadsheets and application of advance excel skills as applied to data generated from the GSM for conversion into user friendly reports. Skills to operate computer with ease.
- Other skills (eg. IT): Work requires the use of word processing or other software packages, and standard office equipment. Formal or self-training in the use of standard office software. Training in GSM/Oracle-based or other ERP system is an asset. Word processing facilities to create, edit, format and print correspondence and documents; spread sheet and visual presentation software; extensive use of e-mail and scheduling software to improve communications both internally and externally.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
- Producing results
Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English. Expert knowledge of Bangla.