The UNDP Country Office Directorate comprises of the Country Director (CD), Deputy Country Director (DCD), and the National Economic Advisor. The Executive Associate will provide executive assistance to the Directorate as delegated by the CD. Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Country Director (CD), the Executive Associate ensures effective and efficient functioning of the said office, full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment, maintenance of protocol procedures, management of information flow and follow-up on deadlines and commitments made.
The Executive Associate works in close collaboration with UNDP staff, UN Agencies and national authorities to ensure efficient flow of information, actions on instructions, agendas. The Executive Associate shall also supervise the secretarial and clerical staff of the office.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of Country Director, the incumbent will do the following work:
Summary of Key Functions:
- Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the CO Directorate
- Effective communications support to the CO Directorate
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Good coordination within and across agencies
Ensures effective and efficient functioning of the CO Directorate focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the supervisor’s calendar, contacts with high-ranking visitors, arrangement of appointments and meetings, acting as an interpreter when required and/or taking minutes.
- Maintenance of protocol procedures.
- Preparation of high quality briefing materials for supervisor for appointments, meetings, missions.
- Preparation of informal translations.
- Management of missions and representation schedule.
- Maintenance of rosters of high-level partners, telephone lists.
- Preparation of correspondence, directives, comments on behalf of CD for his/her signature and making follow-up when required.
- Use of automated office management systems for effective functioning of the CO Directorate.
Ensures provision of effective communications support to the CO Directorate focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials. Use of automated filing system.
- Coordination of the information flow in the office, follow up on circulation files.
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to the supervisor.
- Screening of all incoming calls and correspondence.
- Presentation of proposals to eliminate communication bottlenecks in the office and streamline office procedures between the supervisor’s office and subordinate division.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Organization of specialized trainings for secretaries.
- Organization of trainings to UNDP staff on coordination, administration and protocol issues.
Ensures good coordination within and across agencies:
- Liaison with counterparts in other agencies.
- Maintain good flow of information among staff and other agencies on behalf of the UNDP Directorate as per the supervisor’s guidance.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the CO Directorate. Accurate analysis and presentation of information strengthens the capacity of the Directorate and promotes the image of UNDP as an effective contributor to the development of the country. Incumbent’s own initiative is decisive in results of work and timely finalization.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Maintain databases of donor information
- Tracks and reports on mobilized resources
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development
Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
- Provides inputs to the development of simple system components
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Prepares timely inputs to reports
- Maintains databases
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education with specialized secretarial training. University Degree or equivalent would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 7 years of progressively responsible secretarial, administrative, programme experience is required at the national or international level. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Fluency in English and in the national language of the duty station.