VietHope is a U.S. 501(c)3 nonprofit organization founded in 2002 with the mission to improve education for poor but talented youth in Vietnam. Over the past 15 years, we have invested over $600,000 USD, and helped over 2,500 students in Vietnam. We began by operating scholarship programs, and since then, have expanded to include leadership skills trainings for our scholarship recipients. VietHope operates primarily in Saigon and Hue.
You can learn more about us at www.viethope.org.
About the role/opportunity
VietHope is at an exciting stage in its growth. To take this amazing community to the next level, we are seeking a talented Executive Director in Vietnam. This role will report to the U.S. Executive Committee and own growing our Vietnam staff, programs and operations. This is the perfect role for someone who is excited to work with a unique nonprofit to transform the lives of students in Vietnam.
The ED’s mission
To lead VietHope’s organization in Vietnam through its next stage of growth, by establishing a professional, sustainable volunteer-led team in Vietnam, strengthening strategic management of programs, and aligning external relations to create a favorable operating environment for VietHope.
- Design and implement the system for ongoing volunteer recruitment, onboarding, and development in VietHope’s Vietnam team. This includes meeting specific goals of number of recruits per quarter, onboarding success rate, and 6 month retention rates.
- Deliver quarterly reports to U.S. EC on progress with the above
- Act as manager and coach to 2 Assistant Directors, including weekly 1:1 meetings to provide coaching and feedback on their work
- Deliver repeatable trainings to program leads on program planning, volunteer & project management, program evaluations, and communication
Strategic program development
- Design process and tools for program leads to monitor and evaluate effectiveness
- Deliver quarterly reports to EC on program planning, execution, and evaluation progress
- Deliver annual yearend program report to EC and Board detailing outputs and outcomes achieved by programs that year
- Help EC and Board in 35 year strategic planning for VietHope, making recommendations on program and people growth in Vietnam
Financial management Ensure the overall financial health of VietHope in Vietnam
- Develop annual budget for Vietnam team, in collaboration with local team
- Monitor actual against planned expenditure monthly, explain variances with narrative reports, and initiate action items as appropriate
- Cash management
- Ensure adequate financial supporting documentation on expenditures
- Deliver detailed annual financial report from Vietnam team at end of each year
Partner & legal development
- Establish and maintain ongoing relationships with various education, local government, and NGO organizations to support and enhance VietHope's mission
- Maintain all employment and administrative policies and procedures according to VietHope's mission and as applicable by the laws of the US and Vietnam
- Fundraise 510% of VietHope’s annual total budget each year, in Vietnam
- Represent VietHope when key U.S. funders visit and ensure they meet students
- Experience: 2 to 4 years experience in management position in an NGO or business in Vietnam; at least 2 years managing direct reports; growth startup experience (e.g., leading an organization from 10 to 50 staff) would be beneficial
- Self starter and “grit” for ambiguous startup environment: Ability to set own goals, prioritize, delegate; perseverance in the face of dead ends and obstacles
- Expert communicator: Ability to communicate at both executive and peer levels; ability to collaborate both directly with U.S.-based team while managing local Vietnam team
- Servant leader: Be relatable towards volunteer staff (young professionals and college students), always be ready to pitch in when needed
- Critical thinker: Provides evidence behind assertions, seeks evidence when there is none
- Language: Fluent in Vietnamese (required), proficient in English (strongly preferred)