External Relations Officer
ESCAP , Bangkok, Thailand
Closing Date for Applications:
This position is located in the Strategic Communications and Advocacy Section (SCAS) under the Office of the Executive Secretary. The incumbent reports directly to Chief of SCAS.
Within delegated authority, the External Relations Officer is responsible for external relations and strategic analysis, with the following duties:
- Prepares internal and external communications products including key messages, speeches, talking points in collaboration with divisions and offices for presentation by the Executive Secretary in support of the Executive Secretary's engagement in external events and the strategic positioning of the leadership of ESCAP;
- Undertakes research as required and drafts strategic inputs for technical papers and analytical studies on selected regional, national or sectorial aspects of socio-economic development to support the Executive Secretary’s external engagement and role, and undertakes other writing, as required;
- Provides substantive support for policy coordination and evaluation functions, through up-to-date analysis of emerging issues and trends, as well as external context and stakeholders relevant to ESCAP’s mission and objectives;
- Develops an up-to-date archive of briefing materials on the work of ESCAP including UN policy positions on key development issues, key development information on Member States and their engagement with ESCAP, for ready reference in support of the Executive Secretary’s participation in events and for in the issuance of statements on corporate positions regarding development issues in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Identifies materials and tools that meet the information needs of the Organization and its information clientele; and supports the implementation of new technologies in information management to ensure efficient access to information throughout the Organization.
- Works closely with the Chief of SCAS in reviewing drafts and manuscripts of United Nations publications for adherence to corporate policy, consistency with corporate positioning and UN policy on the concerned subject, maintaining a publications repository and providing analysis and recommendations, as may be required, to ESCAP’s Editorial Board;
- Coordinates media coverage of the Executive Secretary’s participation in events press conferences, development of press releases and action on other strategic communication issues relating to the Executive Secretary’s missions and public appearances.
- Performs other related duties, including supervision of staff, as may be required.
- Education: Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in communications, economics, public relations, international relations and development, social science or related area. A first-level university degree in the above fields in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Work Experience: A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in providing policy advice, including experience in complex international organizations required. Experience in preparing key messages, speeches, talking points and thematic briefings for presentation to a variety of targeted audiences is required. Experience in using a range of information management tools is required. Experience in development issues, especially in Asia and the Pacific, is desirable. Experience in dealing with high-level officials is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.