UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Women in West and Central Africa represent the most deprived group of the population in spite of their paramount social and economic role. They have limited access to, and control over critical resources, as a result of social, cultural and economic norms. UN Women’s programmatic work to support women’s economic empowerment in the region is centered around three pillars:
- Improving women’s access to climate resilient agricultural value chains;
- Promoting and strengthening women entrepreneurship; and
- Enhancing women’s income security and social protection.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the WEE Regional Policy Advisor, the consultant works in close collaboration with UN Women’s program and operations teams in the Regional and Country offices, implementing partners, and UN Women West and Central Africa Women’s Economic Empowerment staff. In particular, the consultant is expected to perform the following functions:
- Act as project coordinator for the regional component for West and Central Africa of the global program “Engendering Fiscal Stimulus Packages and Recovery Efforts Adopted in Response to the COVID-19 Health and Economic crises”
- Develop and implement, in collaboration with the WEE unit in HQ, the WEE advisor in WCRO and COs a work plan to operationalize the global project “Engendering Fiscal Stimulus Packages and Recovery Efforts Adopted in Response to the COVID-19 Health and Economic crises” for West and Central Africa in 2021
- Manage, in close collaboration with UN Women country offices, national economists working on this project in the different countries in West and Central Africa (Mali, Nigeria, Niger)
- Liaise with regional/country offices to monitor progress on programme implementation.
- Contribute to the exchange of information and provide inputs to the development of knowledge products internally and externally of the programme.
- Monitor project progress according to the work plan, and draft monitoring and donor reports for West and Central Africa
- Support the RO and COs in resource mobilization activities related to ‘engendering fiscal stimulus packages’ linked to this project
- Support coordination and cross-learning among the countries in West and Central Africa participating in the program
- Technical assistance and advice on engendering fiscal stimulus packages
- To support and oversee national consultants in the development of national strategies to integrate gender in their national fiscal stimulus packages and recovery policies
- To support and oversee national consultants in the provision of ongoing technical assistance and support to COs in Mali, Nigeria and Niger in implementing those strategies including, conducting gender analysis of fiscal stimulus packages, participating in missions/online events to discuss and disseminate results and recommendations, support countries in the design of policy dialogues and advocacy strategies to promote recommendations to engender fiscal stimulus packages, and other technical support and advice as needed
- In the case of Senegal, act as national economist and lead the implementation of the activities above with the support from the Program Presence
- Identify capacity building needs and support country offices through technical assistance, mentoring, training and capacity development initiatives, as needed
- Adapt existing tools and to support Governments in analyzing gender impact of stimulus packages and integrating gender priorities in economic recovery plans in the region;
- Implement on-the-job technical assistance to national economist and UN Women’s staff in engendering fiscal stimulus packages and gender analysis of macroeconomic policies
- Design and delivery, jointly with national economists, capacity building activities for Governments in the region to enhance capacity to engender economic policies;
- Support and oversee national consultants in the provision of technical assistance and training to UN Women country offices and Governments in the process of piloting, implementing and adapting existing Gender responsive budgeting initiatives to integrate gender priorities in post-COVID19 recovery strategies
- Design and deliver one regional capacity building event for UN Women staff and Government counterparts on key economic reforms to integrate women’s needs in post-COVID19 recovery in Q2 of 2021
Regional advocacy and policy dialogue
- Design and implement regional advocacy strategy to influence agenda of key regional institutions (Economic Commissions, AfDB, AU) to engender fiscal stimulus packages
- Annual work plan and proposed approach to implementation of the project;
- Quarterly monitoring reports on project activities and results;
- Deliverables linked to specific project activities including regional and national advocacy strategies, concept notes, power point presentations, training modules, and other as necessary to support development of capacity building and policy dialogue activities;
- Delivery of training and capacity building activities
- Final project report
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Certification
- Master’s degree or equivalent in economics, development economics, feminist economics or any other relevant field of economics or public policy.
- At least 5 years of international experience and record of accomplishment in international development promoting policy reform in the area of gender and economics, including macroeconomic policy and women’s economic empowerment policies.
- Proven experience with use of gender analysis of the economy, quantitative and qualitative
- Previous professional experience in developing and emerging economies.
- Experience working in West and Central Africa is a strong asset.
- Experience working in the UN System is an asset
- Fluency in English and French is required