Microsave Consulting, Bandung, Indonesia
Closing Date for Applications:
Field Researcher (10):
Category: Research and Development
Career Level: Junior level (0-2 years of experience) - Fresh Graduates are welcomed to apply
Employment Type: Contract for- 14 months
Education Qualification: Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in field of economics, statistics, sociology, anthropology, development studies, psychology, entrepreneurship or a related field
Location: Medan (3), Bandung (3), Yogyakarta (2), and Makassar (2).
About the company
- MicroSave Consulting (MSC) is a boutique consulting firm that has, for 20 years, pushed the world towards meaningful financial, social, and economic inclusion. With 11 offices around the globe, about 180 staff of different nationalities and varied expertise, we are proud to be working in over 65 developing countries. We partner with participants in financial services ecosystems to achieve sustainable performance improvements and unlock enduring value. Our clients include governments, donors, private sector corporations, and local businesses. We can help you seize the digital opportunity, address the mass market, and future-proof your operations.
About the project
- MSC is partnering with New York University (NYU). The research is about understanding small firms, investigating their cash-flows, and finding out factors and impediments to their growth. In Indonesia, the study will be conducted in Medan, Bandung, Yogyakarta, and Makassar.
- The Field Researchers’ main responsibility is to conduct interviews with small firms’ managers as well as some with employees, customers and suppliers in the assigned study area and provide daily reports including planning of the field work. The field researcher will be expected to adhere to all established ethical and survey protocols during the interviews and maintain excellent data quality.
- The Field Researchers’ work will start by preparing a census of small firms according to specific criteria and in specific assigned locations. Based on the census, Field Researchers will conduct intake interviews on the basis of which the sample selection will be decided. Each field researcher is responsible for interviewing 15 to 20 firms weekly. The complete sample of research participants will be interviewed weekly for an entire year. The field researchers will ensure data quality as well as strict compliances to all ethical and survey protocols during the interviews and subsequent data management.
- The Field Researcher shall be directly supervised and work closely with the Field Supervisor and Field Manager.
- Building rapport with diarists along with other soft skills
- Administering research tools - how to ask questions, how to check completed diaries/data entered by diarists to identify issues
- Administering qualitative interviews – art of probing, documenting information / insights
- Troubleshooting minor issues related to Finbit app
- Good understanding of how small business functions in the country (ideally comes from small business owner’s family)
- Proven experience in quantitative and qualitative data collection. Experience of data collection through hand held device (tab/ smartphone) is a plus.
- Commit to stick to the job for 14 months, and shall be responsive to call. Shall not do any other job/ run business in parallel to this work as it is a full-time job.
- Have good written communications
- Good command of English and fluency in Bahasa Indonesia and the relevant local language(s).