Years of conflict and insecurity in South Sudan have resulted in one of the world’s worst and most protracted humanitarian contexts. NRC’s programme has grown in recent years to combine both emergency response and recovery programming, with a budget of $22 million and a team of 350 staff (including 20 International) operating from three large area offices and managed from the country office in Juba.
In addition to delivering humanitarian response and seeking new routes to greater, more sustainable impact, NRC’s South Sudan programme has built a strong reputation for humanitarian analysis and advocacy and seeks to build both arms of this programme over the coming years.
It is with this premise that we are seeking a Field Safety and Security Coordinator to ensure the safety of NRC personnel, NRC assets and its image/reputation in Koch/Leer field areas. The desirable person will be required to take the lead when it comes to the safety and security of NRC staff and assets.
- Conduct context, situational and risk analysis of locations coming under the programme area;
- Develop mission specific Safety and Security Management Plans that includes SOPs and Contingency Plans;
- Provide support in access to targeted programme areas for the field missions;
- Based on the Safety and Security Management plan ensure the team is fully equipped (for example; first aid kits, life vests if boat travel involved etc) for the mission;
- Conduct pre-deployment trainings/briefings to all team members prior to each mission;
- Ensure compliance of NRC Safety and Security Management policies and procedures;
- While on deployment provide the field mission staff daily situational updates and relevant safety and security advice in consultation with the team leader;
- As per country specific Safety and Security procedures provide the Juba security office with updates twice daily.
- Relevant university degree or higher education, preferably in security
- 4 years of experience from working in security management in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Relevant experience in South Sudan will be highly recommended
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts
- Technical expertise in security management required
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience
- Be conversant and have good understanding of the NRC and WFP security management procedures and the function of UNDSS in management of security of UN agencies
- Knowledge of the context in South Sudan
- Experience in start-up, exit of programmes or similar
- Solid understanding and experience in crisis/incident management and working in complex emergencies