Finance / Accounting & Payments Associate
UN WFP, Conakry, Guinea
Closing Date for Applications:
At this level, the incumbent is expected to demonstrate a sense of responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general advice from their Supervisor. It is necessary to use judgment to deal with the unexpected that arise on a daily basis. The incumbent is expected to manage resources, organize and coordinate support staff, or specific support services. The incumbent should have a level of expertise and knowledge to adapt and contribute to the development of systems and processes in order to continually improve the level of support provided. He will have to manage resources, train and coordinate the staff under his supervision.
Coordinate and provide high quality, client-focused and value for money accounting services, as well as financial, budgetary and administrative support services involving the recording and interpretation of financial and budgetary information in order to ensure the proper functioning of support services and inform decision-making.
Description of tasks :
Under the direct supervision of the national administrator in charge of Administration & Finances, the financial accounting and payments assistant will be in charge of:
- Proceed with bank reconciliation of WFP accounts.
- In support of the Administration and Finance Officer, initiate electronic payments and make payments in the absence of the holder.
- Produce various data, compile and prepare reports in order to help provide accurate information for decision-making and maintain efficient and timely management of WFP resources.
- Provide training and guidance to staff under their supervision in interpreting financial procedures, policies, processes and use of business systems to ensure consistency.
- Provide procedural and technical support to staff in the areas of finance and budget to ensure compliance with WFP financial policies, rules and regulations.
- Support the development and implementation of financial policies and procedures, and assist in the establishment of appropriate accounting procedures, systems and internal controls.
- Monitor the daily cash position to optimize the use of excess cash and maximize return on investments through the cash portfolio.
- 8. Monitor the centralized registry system to process all internal staff payments and invoices from external vendors in a timely manner and in accordance with WFP standards.
- Contribute to the preparation, implementation and monitoring of budgets, monitor spending and budget forecasts, to ensure that relevant future funding needs are met.
- Coordinate the team under his supervision to ensure that all financial services are performed efficiently and according to the needs of colleagues.
- Monitor account balances and process financial transactions accurately and in a timely manner to avoid the occurrence of an overdraft.
- Monitor and analyze the accounts in the accounting book in order to initiate and carry out corrective actions.
- Compile data from WFP's database and systems to help generate and analyze financial reports on a monthly basis.
- Establish quarterly the balance of payments report to be sent to the central bank of the republic.
- Ensure and follow standard emergency preparedness practices to meet immediate emergency requirements for additional service in the office and in the field.
- Clean up the bank's open liabilities and vendor and staff accounts.
- High school diploma. A post-secondary certificate in Finance or Management would be an asset.
- At least six (6) years of progressively responsible professional experience, including a minimum of five (5) years in the relevant field, together with administrative work experience.
- Experience in assessing the financial health of WFP.
- Experience working with auditors and other third party vendors
- Experience in demonstrating a good understanding of WFP administrative operating standards and awareness of international humanitarian development issues during daily work.
- Have a good command of accounting software and computer software such as Excel, Word and Power point.
- Provide ad hoc advice to new staff.
- Fluency in oral and written French. Fluency in English would be an asset.