The Finance Analyst support staff of the ROs and MCOs/COs Finance Units. The Finance Analyst works in close collaboration with Regional Finance Specialist and Finance Section HQ, Programme and Operations colleagues, teams at the country level, UNDP staff and Government officials ensuring high performance and efficiency in Finance.
UN Women uses PeopleSoft ERP system, referred to internally as “Atlas” which was implemented in 2004 and comprises various modules including, Accounts Payable, Contracts Module (used for management of revenues and receivables), General Ledger, Treasury Module, Human Resources, Grants and Project Management, Bank-to-Book (B2B) and Asset Management modules. Given the decentralized nature of UN Women’s operations with presence in over 60 country offices, access to the Atlas is controlled via customized user profiles and access rights which permit users to access and perform specified functions in accordance with their approved access rights. UN Women has embarked on the process of migrating from the current PeopleSoft ERP to Oracle Cloud ERP in order to improve internal processes and keep up with evolving industry standards. The implementation of the Oracle Cloud ERP will be staggered with target dates for the roll-out of different modules spread from the second half of 2021 and 2022.
Due to their central role FMS plays in the accounting function at UN Women, FMS will be heavily involved in the implementation of the Oracle Cloud ERP including the review and configuration of the Chart of Accounts in the new ERP and play a key role in the configuration of all modules in the new ERP that result in recording of financial transactions, which is a cross-cutting function across all business owners of the ERP.
The Finance Analyst will perform the functions described in the section below.
Duties and Responsibilities
Regional / field support – New ERP Formulation and Implementation
- Provide Regional / field support function in the region:
- Provide Surge capacity to the Regional Finance Specialist and Region’s Finance Staff for RO data cleansing; GL reconciliations; solution readiness testing; new ERP training and functional Helpdesk
- Provide Back-fill support to the Regional Finance Specialist and Region’s Finance Staff, and relief Expert staff time on ERP project
- Formulate and develop Manual Work-around for complex issues at New ERP "go-live"
Support the Regional Finance Specialist in Coordinating the financial planning, analysis, and provision of services to the CO/MCO/RO in accordance with UN Women internal control framework, rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Recommend and/or implement cost saving and reduction strategies;
- Review and/or verify financial transactions/activities, recording/reporting system and audit reports. Co-ordinate with Finance Section HQ on suggestions for amendments;
- Review financial business processes and use of Atlas system to ensure accurate and complete reporting of financial transactions by UN Women staff in accordance with the Internal Control Framework and Delegation of Authority and the timely flow of financial information in UN Women for management, monitoring and oversight purposes;
- analyze and oversee all financial resources managed by the CO/MCO/RO and provide high-quality professional advice on financial issues to the CO/MCO/RO management, as necessary;
- Coordinate cash management processes, including liquidity management, recommend impress level, risk assessment, security for cash assets on site.
- Assist with financial risk assessment reviews for the RO/MCO/CO, by identifying areas of risk and providing recommendations and action plans for addressing issues raised.
Support the Regional Finance Specialist in Coordinating the monitoring and oversight of financial systems in accordance with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Monitor financial systems and reports for unusual activities, transactions, investigate anomalies;
- Coordinate the CO/MCO/RO timely completion of their Month-end Instructions Checklist and Year-end Instructions Closure Checklist;
- Draft all financial reports in accordance with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and ensure continued compliance. Monitor the CO/MCO/RO for compliance with IPSAS accounting standards by reviewing business processes and systems modules resulting in IPSAS compliant general ledger and financial statements;
- Review Implementing Partner advance procedures and test against UN Women policies to ensure compliance. Investigate and follow up on any anomalies for timely action and resolution, as necessary;
- Review all contractual arrangements with suppliers of goods and services to ensure that the financial terms and conditions of all contracts are being adhered to by the suppliers of goods and services;
- Report to Operations Manager and Chief of Accounts any case of non-adherence for timely action and recommendations for actions/decisions, as necessary;
- Respond to questions and provide analysis as requested to the Finance Section HQ.
Support the Regional Finance Specialist in Coordinating financial reporting in the CO/MCO/RO in accordance with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Draft timely and accurate automated interim financial reports to governments and donors as required under the donor agreements and other cost-sharing arrangements for submission to Virtual Global Service Centre Finance Specialists;
- Track and report contributions within the resource mobilization efforts, including pipeline, contracted and overdue and future milestones. Review contributions receivables and provide information to Operations Manager for follow up, as necessary;
- Write ad hoc financial Donor and other reports as requested;
- Follow up and/or take prompt action to respond to audit and other findings on financial management.
Support the Regional Finance Specialist in Coordinating the audit process in accordance with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Coordinate the pre-audit preparations for financial management of the CO/MCO/RO to be audit ready and complete the pre-audit checklist. Travel to the COs as necessary to assist during CO audits.
- Contribute technically to the training in the RO/MCO/CO as part of the training plan or requirement of pre-audit preparations or as otherwise determined by Operations Manager or Chief of Accounts;
- Write responses to internal and external audit inquiries and other findings related to financial management for review/approval by Operations Manager and Chief of Accounts and incorporate recommendations in development in policies, procedures and practices;
- Plan and track expenditures and performance audit of financial resources, including extra-budgetary income.
Support the Regional Finance Specialist in Coordinating programme/ project budgets in accordance with UN Women rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Coordinate all financial resources of programmes/ projects through planning, guiding, monitoring and controlling of the resources;
- Prepare and monitor budgets of management projects;
- Analyze and report on the budget approvals and the delivery situation of management projects;
- Contribute to the proper mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in budget management;
- Submit financial information for timely preparation of donor reports;
- Prepare advance payments and direct payments for programme implementation and record them in Atlas.
- Provide assistance to offices in the region in relation to project closure and provide training on a regular basis, in conjunction with Virtual Global Service Centre Finance Specialists.
Support the Regional Finance Specialist in Coordinating financial training and communication for the CO/MCO/RO
- Monitor the effectiveness of the services of the finance team on a regular basis to ensure close relationship between Finance Section and Finance Users in RO/MCO/CO and take corrective measures as needed;
- Coordinate development projects to ensure effective finance and communication tools are in place and regularly monitored for improvements;
- Perform the Finance Helpdesk function for RO/MCO/CO to ensure accurate and timely response to issues and advice requested in conjunction with Finance Section HQ;
- Support in the implementation of the approved Training plans (specifically ATLAS and IPSAS) in conjunction with Finance Section HQ and Finance specialist in RO on a recurrent basis to ensure competency across all Finance Users at CO/MCO;
- Provide oversight for Finance staff of the RO/MCO/CO and monitor progress and provide guidance and direction to the staff as necessary to ensure goals and objectives are achieved.
Participate in knowledge management and capacity building
- Identify, participate in the development and/or recommend enhancement/updates/improvement in Atlas financial modules for better business practices and controls in the RO/MCO/CO;
- Capture, synthesize and/or codify lessons learned and best practices in the RO/MCO/ CO support and financial management and services. Disseminate to Finance Section HQ to share knowledge and build capacity;
- Contribute to the design of learning tools, best practices and innovations in financial business operational practices and management, promote transparency, ease of communications, hosting of financial documents, and all policies and procedures between all UN Women users of the RO/MCO/CO data.
Financial tasks, approving and certifying function
- Oversee that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; payrolls are duly prepared; travel claims and other entitlements are duly processed;
- Implement timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, matching exceptions, unapproved vouchers;
- Provide timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues;
- Perform delegated approval function in Atlas on a timely basis;
- Review and provide financial clearance of all donor agreements as delegated for compliance with standard agreements on a timely basis.
Key Performance Indicators
- Financial activities/transactions and documentations are implemented/processed according to UN Women rules and regulations, policies and procedures
- Programme units receive timely support in relation to financial management, budgeting and planning
- Timely and accurate professional advice on financial issues provided to the RO/MCO/CO management
- Timely reporting on financial issues
Required Skills and Experience
Education and Certification:
- Advanced (Masters) University Degree in Finance/Accounting is required
- Professionally qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- Successful completion of UNWomen Financial Technical Test is an asset.
- Minimum 2 years of progressively responsible experience in accounting, financial management in a large international and/or corporate organization preferably in the UN system and its organizations.
- Experience of IPSAS or IFRS highly desirable.
- Experience in the usage of office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc)
- Experience in web based management systems and ERP financial systems such as PeopleSoft is an asset
- Fluency in English is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.