Finance and Administrative assistant
World Health Organization, Cairo, Egypt
Closing Date for Applications:
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The mission of WHO's Health Emergencies Programme (The Programme) is to build the capacity of Member States to manage health emergency risks and, when national capacities are overwhelmed, to lead and coordinate the international health response to contain outbreaks and to provide effective relief and recovery to affected populations.The Management & Administration Unit of the Health Emergencies Programme is responsible for effective management and administrative support for the emergencies programme and for ensuring that WHO emergency operations are rapidly and sustainably financed and staffed. This consists of the provision of high-quality, predictable administrative services (i.e. HR, Finance, work planning, grant management) to the Emergency Programme, including during emergency response, as well as effective monitoring of (and compliance with) SOPs, leading to continuous improvement and business process excellence.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
Under the direct supervision of the Administrative Officer and overall guidance of MGA manager, the incumbent will be responsible for:
- Supporting the day-to-day administrative and financial operations of the Department, supporting the awards, budget and funding allocations, and expenditure management, and verifying all budgetary and financial transactions in the Global Management System (GSM) for both the core Programme and for event response, in compliance with rules and regulations and with requirements of donors on awards.
- Reviewing all travel costs for completeness and correctness as well as verifying the travel claims as per the rules and regulations of the organisation. Support as needed all MGA subunits with organisations of workshops and trainings, preparing administrative notes and correspondances for administration purposes.
- Support the supervisor in tasks related to the clearance of legal agreements in collaboration with relevant administrative units in the Regional Office and at HQ as requested.
- Support in monitoring financial implementation, preparing and consolidating the budgetary and financial statements, and preparing budget forecasts and revisions for WHO/WHE activities and staff. Produce analytical reports and ad hoc financial reports regularly and as requested by the Supervisor. Prepare cost estimates and participate in budget analysis and projections as required.
- Provide technical finance and administrative support to the emergency countries in the region and acts as liaison between Global Service Center in KL, HQ , Regional Office BFU and emergency countries to ensure accuracy and consistency of financial data, adherence to WHO Financial Rules and regulations and prompt resolutions of queries. Initiate correspondence and answer queries related to financial and budget information and GSM related issues. Draw supervisor's attention to specific/unusual discrepancies or problems, recommends necessary corrective actions.
- Work closely with different technical units at all levels of the organization and across WHE to support the monitoring of financial implementation, preparing and consolidating the budgetary and financial statements, and preparing budget forecasts and revisions for WHO/WHE activities and staff.
- Participate in revising and developing related SOPs, guidelines and support capacity buidling and training in the finance and budget areas.
- Update and maintain GSM and other finance tracking systems as required for all budgetary and financial activities.
- Responsible for reviewing travel requests and Travel claims for completeness and accuracy and coordinating with each unit till resolution.
- Support in organising and coordinating all conferences and meeting for MGA and following up on all meeting related aspects.
- Monitor all open Administration encumbrances for all WHE units and follow up with concerned staff .
- Prepare administrative correspondences and other administration communication
- Follow up on visa and other travel arrangements for staff for MGA units.
- Support the Administrative Officer with administration related requests as needed.
- Staff may be assigned to perform various duties of similar complexity including ad-hoc assignments as determined by supervisors as well as reinforcing other teams or replacing other staff members in the country offices as deemed necessary.
Achievement Activities Include:
- Advice clients/management about possible solutions, to various financialand budget issues requiring immediate and rapid response and enable them to achieve sound financial management.
- Contributition to the efficient work results of WHE
- Sound advices on financial information and GSM workflows and processes.
- Effective monitoring, analysis, review of various transactions and reliable financial reporting.
- Timely and sound solutions to arising problems and continous support to staff
- Contribution to the development of enhanced guidelines and procedures to facilitate effective work processes.
- Essential: Completion of secondary school with additional training in automated accounting
- Desirable: University degree in commerce, Administration , finance, business administration or related field would be an asset
- Essential: At least 10 years' experience in applying budget , administrative and financial procedures through progressive work in finance and budget and accounting activities. Extensive work experience in financial reporting, budget monitoring and data analysis.
- Desirable: Experience in UN or international organisations
- Excellent knowledge of general accounting, budget and finance principles, procedures, and practices.
- Ability to maintain good working relationships with clients and stakeholders.
- Delivering quality results in pressing situations and conflicting priorities.
- Excellent analytical skills with strategic focus.
- Good knowledge of IPSAS and UN Financial Rules and Regulations
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Knowing and managing yourself
- Producing results
Use of Language Skills
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English. Expert knowledge of Arabic.
- Desirable: Intermediate knowledge of French.