About the Organization:
Heifer International is a global non-profit working to end hunger and poverty and care for the Earth by using sustainable practices and engaging smallholder farmers in agricultural development. Heifer was founded on the simple belief that ending hunger begins with giving people the means to feed themselves, generate income and achieve sustainable livelihoods.
Position: Finance and Administrative Officer
The Finance and Administrative Officer will be responsible for providing substantive support for accounting aspects of the Heifer Country Office. This position will be accountable for the maintenance of accounting-related systems, implement accepted methods of accounting and assure proper internal controls and perform guided assessments of controls related to financial activities, reporting and compliance. This position will apply critical thinking to manage the business of the Country Office, in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment. The Finance and Administrative Officer will apply, reinforce general accounting standards and Heifer's policies and procedures.
Responsibilities & Deliverables
Support the Country team in accounts management to ensure compliance. (25%)
- Facilitate accurate and timely transactions that will feed into donor reporting, dashboards and other key donor deliverables
- Record all transactions in the accounting system; coordinate with team members to complete all accounting procedures to produce monthly financial statements in accordance with local GAAP or IFRS
- Complement ongoing documentation and implementation of industry standards in accounts
Ensure regulatory and organizational compliance of accounting transactions within the country program offices and support global consolidation of financial statements. (25%)
- Facilitate requests related to independent external audits and other agreed-upon procedures providing financial information and follow-up
- Reconcile all transactions in the accounting system to the general ledger and financial reports
- Register and maintain fixed assets in the accounting system.
- Manage the staff expenditure and reimbursement process.
- Ensure adequate documentation for payments to vendors and partners, checking the accuracy of invoices and other supporting documents
- Accountable to support responses to queries on the status of payments, accounts, expenditures and obligations and resolve any discrepancies.
Provide support on pre- and post-award financial and accounting management to ensure compliance with donor agreements. (25%)
- Support processes for project budgeting and reforecasting
- Support review of budget requests for timely processing of fund releases
- Monitor project burn-rates
- Monitor compliance with grant agreements
- Support preparation of accurate and timely donor reporting, dashboards and other key donor deliverables
- Ongoing documentation and implementation of industry standard grant management and compliance procedures
- Preparation and maintenance of accurate and timely periodic reporting, dashboards and other key deliverables to senior management
- Regular and timely expenditure review
- Monitor donor agreement reporting dates and respond to compliance inquiries related to donor request
- Assist in providing administrative and accounting support to staff and project partners through trainings and field monitoring.
- Support partner/cooperatives in the submission of reports.
- Assist in monitoring project partners to ensure implementation of Heifer Partner’s policies and program impact
Provide administrative support to fixed asset, inventory, supply chain and logistics processes. (20%)
- Manage day to day office administration
- Manage procurement and all purchases related to goods and services, including quotations, comparative tables, contracts and ensure compliance based on Heifer’s or the Donor’s standards.
- Provide adequate and timely logistical support for office operations and other activities
- Ensure upkeep of office facilities and fixed assets
- Maintain seamless filing and record keeping system for travel and trip reports, attendance and leave approvals
- Coordinate and/or facilitate local and international travel arrangements, meetings, conferences
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, plus three (3) years of related experience.
- Experience in a donor-funded development environment with compliance requirements of institutional funders.