Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) within the Office of the Rule of Law and Security Institutions (OROLSI) in the Department of Peace Operations (DPO) in New York. The Finance Assistant will report to the Chief of Policy, Advocacy, Donor Relations and Outreach Section through the Donor Relations Officer.
Established in 1997, the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) works to eliminate the threat posed by mines, explosive remnants of war and improvised explosive devices by coordinating United Nations mine action, leading operational responses at the country level, and supporting the development of standards, policies and norms.
As a specialized service of the United Nations located within the Department of Peace Operations, UNMAS operates under UN legislative mandates of both the General Assembly and the Security Council. UNMAS also responds to specific requests for support from the UN Secretary-General or designated official. For more information on UNMAS please visit www.mineaction.org/unmas.
Within limits of delegated authority the Finance Assistant is responsible for the following duties:
- Generates budgetary or financing tracking reports, including statistical/financial/expenditure vs. funding source data for tables, charts and spreadsheets using office software and templates, and Enterprise Resource Planning software (ERP).
- Amends, rearranges and edits statistical tables. Ensures that officers submitting documents/reports/proposals adhere to established guidelines set by the Controller's Office and/or the Office of Legal Affairs (OLA) and align with UN rules and regulations. Makes necessary follow-up with client departments on the above.
- Assists the Finance/Budget Officer(s) in setting up ERP project structure and budgets, creates and maintains ERP grants (including supporting documentation), verifies accuracy of data in ERP.
- Liaises with UNMAS Sections, on Umoja transactions and deposits, timeliness of publications, completeness of submissions, particularly of performance reports, preparation/finalization of budget performance reports including expenditure variances vs. budget.
- Monitors electronic transmissions of documents (local and overseas) and determines appropriate recipients within the Division or Department.
- Produces layouts of annexes to the budget and overview tables to conform to specifications in the programme budget.
- Summarizes, through statistical tables, all extrabudgetary proposals reflecting budgetary and programmatic changes, retrieving information from different updated tables from the ERP System and compiles frequently updated reports.
- Takes note of approved appropriations and other data to be reflected in the Annual Report of UNMAS and other publications.
- Prepares notes on contribution agreements to ensure compliance with UN rules and regulations as requested/assigned.
- Updates and logs incoming contributions into the ERP; Assigns sequential numbers to manually prepare allotment advises in accordance with account type, i.e., programme budget, miscellaneous (including working capital fund and revenue-producing activities) and projects. Distributes allotment advises, as appropriate. Answers inquiries.
- Obtains information on status of unpaid voluntary contributions to trust funds or special accounts from Contributions Service, financial statements from Trust Fund Unit.
- Enters data into form letters, e.g. payment request sent to Permanent Missions in support of mine action programming.
- Provides general administrative/secretarial support to the officers including support with logistics for donor meetings and events.
- Performs other duties as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Three years of experience in finance, administration, accounting or related area is required.
- Experience in drafting and editing correspondence is desirable.
- Experience working with senior managers is desirable.
- Work experience in and knowledge of ERP such as SAP is desirable.
- Proficiency in Excel or an equivalent spreadsheet software is desirable.
- Fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.