The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Snr. Finance and Grants Manager for the Bangladesh Nutrition Activity (BNA) funded by USAID. BNA is USAID’s flagship initiative in integrated Nutrition and WASH (Water, Sanitation and Health) service delivery in Bangladesh and is working to improve the nutrition and health of children less than five years of age, pregnant and lactating women, and adolescents (10-18 years old) in the Zone of Influence (ZOI) and the Zone of Resilience (ZOR).
It achieves this objective by means of three high level results:
- Result 1 – Increased consumption of nutritious, diverse and safe diets by rural households.
- Result 2 – Increased social and economic empowerment of women and adolescents (10-18 years).
- Result 3 – Improved access to and adoption of improved water, sanitation and hygiene practices.
Equally important, BNA will equip host communities and the private sector to sustain progress after the project ends. It will do so by ensuring that local institutions and organizations have the technical capacity and expertise to independently implement and manage nutrition and WASH strengthening activities. We are looking for individuals who are committed to exceeding expectations and who strive to improve the lives of people worldwide.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Working under the supervision of the Director Finance and Administration and the Chief of Party, the Snr. Finance and Grants Manager will support the finance and administration team and oversee the grants program for the Bangladesh Nutrition Activity. Primary responsibilities of the position include but are not limited to the following:
- Support the financial operations and reporting of BNA, providing guidance and technical assistance to finance personnel and implementing partners.
- Maintain financial reporting and tracking systems that provide basic data measurements on financial performance of project activities.
- Provide ongoing support to the finance and administration team, including the processing of approvals for procurements, consultant agreements, vendor invoices and international staff visa and taxation issues.
- Manage the timely submission of the monthly field expenses (ROV) to Abt headquarters.
- Ensure that statutory and tax reporting requirements are complied with local laws
- Support the development, execution, and management of subcontractor and consulting agreements.
- Organize project staff to conduct and document ongoing monitoring of grantee performance, capacity building that targets grantee needs, and financial monitoring to ensure proper and efficient use of donor funds;
- Tailor existing tools to create a project grants under contract manual covering all procedures from announcement and intake through analysis and final selection;
- Draft requests for grant applications and/or an annual program statement targeting promising small and medium-sized businesses;
- Assist short-listed applicants to refine their application working in coordination with technical team colleagues to develop a technically sound approach to upgrading production capacity;
- Analyze and evaluate grant submissions for technical and budget soundness and compliance with USAID regulations, recommending award actions to the contract team;
- Prepare all grant-related donor approval requests and promptly respond to all grant-related donor requests;
- Coordinate the issuance of grants under contract and maintain documentation through the development and upkeep of Abt Associates grants database and document management system;
- Provide direct technical support to potential local NGO partners and grantees;
- Coordinate closely with the Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party and the technical teams to ensure grants fit within the overall program goals and objectives;
- Master’s Degree in Finance, Business, Administration, or other relevant field.
- At least 6 years of professional experience managing financial and contractual aspects of large international development programs, preferably USAID-funded projects.
- Experience managing a grants portfolio
- Familiarity with USAID grants under contract rules and regulations
- Experience with a grants management database used to manage work flow and document key stages in a grant cycle
- Strong analytical and computer skills, with an emphasis on budget and financial analysis.
- Experience in the management of logistics and procurement are highly desirable.
- Fluency in Bengali and English required. Local candidates strongly urged to apply.
- Master’s degree and 6-8 years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience