The Finance and Operations Director is responsible for the financial management of PCI in Malawi. This position reports to the Country Director of PCI Malawi and is responsible for the direct supervision of the National Accountant(s), Procurement Manager and Logistics Manager.
The Finance and Operations Director, in close coordination with PCI departments, ensures that internal control procedures are followed and PCI, US government and other donors’ requirements for financial management, compliance, and accounting, budget planning, monitoring and reporting are fully met in a timely manner.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
Strategic Finance and Operations Management
- Collaborate with project managers and CD for strategic program-finance linkages by providing timely analytics and guidance
- Ensure optimal functioning of finance and operational systems by continuously improving them (or introducing new systems), pre-empting challenges and removing bottlenecks
- Systematically and continuously review to enhance quality of performance of finance system at sub-offices as well as to provide appropriate financial information to technical leads
- Lead in planning, monitoring, and mentoring of consortium partners through a partnership lens
- Develop processes and communication protocols that are customer (staff, partners, vendors) friendly, resulting in a positive working environment
- Partner with CD to provide finance management inputs to program managers, partner directors, and senior leadership team (SLT) resulting in PCI becoming a preferred consortium lead
Budget Planning, Monitoring and Reporting:
- Understand PCI’s business model to minimize co-funding and meet annual financial performance goals
- Develop budgets annually for existing projects and in response to opportunities for new projects
- Monitor PCI program budgets to ensure that spending occurs as planned and that variances are anticipated, noted and corrected. Ensure that key program personnel are aware of their budgetary resources and are able themselves to monitor their budgets;
- Prepare monthly variance analysis reports for each budget including accruals and initiate review with individual program managers;
- Prepare any budget revisions and projections for PCI programs and respond to any questions;
- Prepare financial information requested such as pipelines and accruals;
- Prepare monthly financial reports, budgets, forecast and reports on variances for both internal consumption and for reporting to donors
- Review payroll for accuracy of payroll register, salary computations, allocations to different programs and journal entries posted in accounting software
- Ensure compliance with all statutory issues for IO, PCI-Malawi, and local government authorities
- Ensure integration between accounting and program teams
- Review and approve the preparation of monthly funding requirements and ensure that all programs receive the funds approved for their use in a timely manner;
- Monitor bank balances to ensure that reserves are adequate to meet current needs; and
- Supervise preparation of all payments to ensure complete documentation is provided and properly filed.
Internal Controls, Policy and Compliance
- Lead the development of new policies and procedures concerning internal controls and operating efficiency;
- Monitor existing compliance procedures and initiate potential improvements
- Perform periodic internal control reviews to assure compliance with organizational policy and appropriate segregation of duties.
- Assess financial, compliance and other relevant risks and establish risk mitigation processes
- Maintain and perform regular general ledger analysis
- Ensure compliance with PCI approval matrix
- Ensure compliance with PCI accounting, procurement and Sub-award manual
Ensure proper asset management
- Assure financial and audit compliance of all international and local consortium partners and maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders (donor, partners and local authorities)
- Ensure compliance with donor policies and procedures in cooperative agreements/grants/contracts and make recommendations for improving the overall effectiveness of the program.
Supervision and Capacity Building of Existing Teams
- Provide supervision to the finance, procurement, and logistics teams
- Assess the core strengths/weaknesses of the team members, and in conjunction with the IO finance and operations teams, provide training and on-the job coaching to develop their capacity and knowledge
Project Design and Close-Out:
- Lead the development of budgets for new grants and/or annual budgets for multi-year grants
- Ensure that close out forecasts are made beginning six months ahead of project end date and that spending during those six months is closely monitored; and
- Follow PCI’s project closeout procedures and ensure that there is complete compliance with all USG and other donor required close-out regulations.
- Interface effectively with the CFO and participate as a member of the global finance team
- Serve as a member of PCI-Malawi’s Senior Leadership Team
- Participate in PCI’s innovation efforts and in teams on innovation initiatives
- Other duties as assigned
Position Parameters/Special Responsibilities Required:
- The position will be based in Blantyre, Malawi but will require frequent travel to the field offices.
- Ability to travel in-country and internationally up to 30% of time.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and 8-10 years of experience in accounting and financial management
- Experience in non-profit accounting
- Professionally qualified accountant; advanced degree in a related field (e.g. finance) preferred
- Overseas experience required; preferably in Malawi
- Excellent understanding and familiarity with US Government donor regulations, ideally USAID Title II experience
- Experience in automated and integrated accounting packages, preferably proficient in ACCPAC.
- Experience directing operational activities in similar programs
- Demonstrated abilities in NGO reporting, financial management, procurement, and project management
- Familiarity and sensitivity to gender issues
- Demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with local ministries, NGO partners, international agencies, and U.S. government agencies
- Development philosophy in keeping with PCI’s mission, vision, core values and approach to integrated, community-driven programming
- Excellent analytical and self-motivation skills; advocacy and persuasion skills; able to think critically
- Excellent capacity building, team building/management, and coordination skills
- Excellent facilitation, analytical and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- A passion for the mission and values of PCI