The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) WFP is recognized as the leading solution provider and partner in the struggle to end hunger and malnutrition and particularly for its efforts to reach those furthest behind first.
Being the frontline agency of the United Nations system that delivers innovative hunger solutions to 81 countries each day worldwide; WFP’s 14,800+ strong staff share a vision and commitment to end hunger by 2030. Tackling the causes -- not just the symptoms – and operating in the remotest corners of the world, with all logistical means necessary, WFP’s results-focussed team provides nutritious and life-saving food and cash assistance when necessary. Bringing unrivalled experience and operating in the world’s most high profile, difficult environments, WFP upholds the humanitarian principles of humanity, integrity impartiality and neutrality.
In successfully achieving the Sustainable Development Goal 2 (SDG 2) i.e Zero Hunger by 2030, the WFP team actively fosters partnerships with governments, communities, local authorities, civil societies, other UN agencies and the private sector.
WFP Malawi is seeking qualified and dynamic candidate to fill the following position tenable at its Malawi Country Office-Lilongwe as per details below:
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Completion of secondary school education.
- Diploma in any of the following financial fields- ACCA/CAT/ICAM/CIMA
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Provide the procedural and technical support to staff within the areas of finance and budget, to ensure compliance with WFP financial policies, rules and regulations.
- Compile monthly VAT claims and ensure timely submission and follow up of refunds from Malawi Revenue Authority and prepare a status report to management on monthly basis.
- Perform reconciliation of VAT claims against WINGS VAT transactions.
- Review payroll for SC/SSA staff for accuracy and adequacy of supporting documentation before payment proposal.
- Record receivables and closely follow up on reimbursement from UN agencies that used WFP facilities(fuel, office etc) and follow up of UNDSS spacecifically for BTSO
- Prepare AP invoices/JVs for staff medical reimbursements, consultants, and downpayments for CBT transfers
- Prepare EFTS/bank transfer instructions/letters and send payment advice notes to the unit focal point relating to Programmes, Administration and Procurement units.
- Receive and upload invoices for Programmes, Administration and Procurement units in ITS and forward to spending units for approvals.
- Review accuracy, completeness and contractual compliance of invoices for Programmes, Administration and Procurement units in and outside ITS before sending to WINGS and raising LIVS, and where applicable clearing any downpayments in the vendor account and issue the weekly status of invoices in ITS and circulate to Head of Finance, Admin & ICT so that it is communicated with the rest of unit heads
- Prepare receipts and journal vouchers relating to units- Programmes, Administration and Procurement.
- Capture and track all suppliers reivables to ensure timely recovery of advances.
- Maintain the delegation of authority matrix, in-house committee list and bank signatory panel ensuring duly signed nomination letters are properly filed, review DOA with HoF on a quarterly basis.
- Quartely reconcile bank signatory panel with HQ and the bank records
- Assist with the implementation of financial policies and procedures, systems and internal controls.
- Assist with interim and year-end accounts closure processes.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by direct supervisor or head of finance.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Experience in producing bank reconcilialtion statement
- Farmiliar with VAT computation procedures with authorities in Malawi.
- Has experience collecting and monitoring financial data on projects and programmes, assessing financial health and status, and reporting findings to senior leaders.