Freedom House, South Africa
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
Freedom House promotes the spread of freedom and democracy around the world through research, advocacy, and programs that support frontline activists. We are a leader in identifying threats to freedom through our highly regarded analytic reports, including Freedom in the World, Freedom of the Press, Freedom on the Net, and Nations in Transit. With 13 field offices and two U.S. offices, we support the right of every individual to be free.
Freedom House seeks a Finance Assistant to assist the financial and administrative functions at the organization. This position will be based in Johannesburg, South Africa and will report to the Senior Finance Officer.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with monitoring cash flow and managing Freedom House’s financial status;
- Assist with preparation of payment vouchers
- Assist with vendor communications and follow up on payments/invoices.
- Assist with the effective functioning of the office support systems including negotiations with the landlord, vendors and other service providers in the most cost effective manner;
- Assist with maintaining internal controls to ensure compliance with financial policies and regulations;
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Finance Officer.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, economics, or related field;
- Minimum 0 - 2 years of experience with grants compliance monitoring;
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing;
- Mastery of MS Office Suite -specifically Excel and Word as well as QuickBooks
- Prior experience working with NGO accounting in a fast paced finance department;
- Knowledge of South African accounting and financial laws;
- Ability to analyze financial information efficiently and accurately;
- Ability to effectively write reports, maintain documentation, and complete required forms;
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times.