The United Nations system in Indonesia works as a team to develop the best strategy to respond to national needs and plans, building on agency asset. To support its operations, UN Indonesia is opening vacancies for roster of qualified personnel to be based not only in Jakarta but also in other areas as required. Candidates will be assessed by UN Human Resources team for particular type/level of function.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Operations Manager, Finance Specialist or Finance Associate, the Programme Finance Assistant provides financial services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The Programme Finance Assistant promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations.
The Programme Finance Assistant works in close collaboration with the Operations, Management Support and Business Development, Programme and other teams in the CO and with UNDP HQs staff to exchange information and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of key functions:
- Support to administration and implementation of programme/operations strategies
- Support to administration of budgets and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system.
- Accounting and administrative support
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Provides support for the administration and implementation of programme/operations strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules and regulations and other relevant policies on financial recording/reporting system and follow-up on audit recommendations; implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system.
- Provision of inputs for preparation of cost sharing, trust fund and other agreements, follow up on contributions within the CO resource mobilization efforts.
Provides effective support to administration of budgets and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of information for formulation of work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements and execution modalities.
- Tracking and preparing spreadsheets on mobilized resources.
- Processing of cost-recovery bills in Atlas for the services provided by elaboration and implementation of the income tracking system and follow up on cost recovery.
- Extraction of data from various sources.
- Research and retrieval of statistical data from internal and external sources; preparation of statistical charts, tables and reports.
- Maintenance of the filing system
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to head of unit.
Provides accounting and administrative support focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments, preparation of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for NEX/DEX projects; processing of PO and non-PO vouchers for development projects.
- Processing of transactions, ensuring that they are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas in conformity with the internal expenditures control system.
- Timely corrective actions on erroneous data in Atlas.
- Compilation of data for internal/external audit.
- Provision of inputs to reports including donor reports.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the organization of training for the office staff on programme/operations related issues.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in programme finance.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall CO efficiency in programme financial resources management and success in implementation of programme/operations strategies. Accurate analysis and presentation of financial information enhances UNDP position as a strong development partner. The information provided facilitates decision making of the management.
Competencies and Critical Success Factors
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of standard specialized and non-specialized tasks and work processes that are fully documented, researched, recorded and reported
- Ability to review a variety of data, identify and adjust discrepancies, identify and resolve operational problems
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work
- Good knowledge of financial rules and regulations and Results Management Guide, accounting
- Strong IT skills, Atlas
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new system.
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Demonstrates openness to change
- Responds positively to feedback and differing points of view
Required Skills and Experience
- Education: Secondary Education with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance.
- Experience:3 to 5 years of progressively responsible finance experience is required. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Language Requirements: Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.