The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
Overall purpose of the role: Under the supervision of the Finance Manager, The Finance Assistant will control cash movement in the safe box & DRC bank account by ensuring compliance with DRC financial procedures.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
Finance and Cash Management
- Handle Country Officer cash and cash transactions carefully and safely;
- Prepare receipt, payment, and other vouchers as required;
- Pay all cash payments upon approval of authorized DRC managers;
- Keep office petty cash to an appropriate authorized limit and make timely replenishment;
- Assist CO staff in daily financial activities;
- Undertake monthly salary payment to staff and remit taxes and pension to the concerned authorities;
- Ensure full documentation before effecting any payment;
- Conduct regular cash count;
- Ensure monthly closing and cash follow status report is produced on time, in both electronic and hard copies;
- Maintain proper filing systems of financial documents;
- Ensure accounting records are kept updated, are reliable and are maintained according to DRC accounting practices;
- Ensure timely and accurate encoding of all financial movements;
- Record expense & revenue on DRC Dynamics
Payment and cash flow
- Maintain cashbooks/DRC Dynamics and accounts records and ensure payments are allocated to the correct project and budget line;
- Ensure all relevant documentation is collected, checked and attached to payment vouchers;
- Handle all cash, including petty cash and local bank accounts, and maintain and balance daily cash books;
- Collect cash money and deal with any other business with the bank;
- Manage cash balances to ensure that sufficient balances are maintained for ongoing activities while preventing too high balances to avoid incurring high exchange rate charges.
- Ensure telephone and electricity bills are paid in time every month;
- Replace Finance Officer during absence;
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned by line manager.
In this position, you will also be expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for Excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the Lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating Integrity: Acting in line with DRC’s vision and values.
- Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant experience is required,
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to work independently and in a team;
- Ability to use ERP systems & MS Office with advanced excel proficiency;
- Ability to work cooperatively with staff from diverse cultures.
- BA Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Management or other directly related field from University or higher education
- Finance & Budgeting Officers
- Logistics and Procurement Officers