United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, Guatemala
Closing Date for Applications:
- General Service Staff members currently serving at the duty station where the vacancy exists, who have been appointed through the AC process and have indefinite or Fixed Term appointment. Interested staff members should consult the Policy and Procedures on Assignments of Locally recruited Staff (PPAL).
- must be legally present in Guatemala at the time of application, recruitment and hire.
- Shortlisted candidates will be required to sit for a test and will undertake a competency-based interview. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified. No late applications will be accepted.
- UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing or any other fees).
- UNHCR strongly encourages qualified female applicants for this position. UNHCR seeks to ensure that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities. UNHCR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and disability inclusion. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
DUTIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
- The Finance Assistant is normally supervised by an Admin or Finance Officer who defines work objectives and provides regular advice and guidance. The incumbent¿s workload and the assignments will remain under constant scrutiny and direction of the supervisor. The incumbent also refers to UNHCR Manuals and relevant policy papers on financial issues.
- The incumbent assists with the processing of financial transactions. S/he keeps frequent contact with staff at various levels in the office and with bank officials and suppliers to exchange information.
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Financial transactions and reconciliations are processed in line with relevant policies and procedures.
- Assist newly arriving or departing international staff members on opening/closing bank account; process their entitlement upon assignment.
- Compile and verify budget and accounting data by checking files, calculating expenditure and estimating projections.
- Issue PO and non-PO vouchers including monthly salaries of UNHCR staff, daily subsistence allowance to staff going on official missions, cost of air-tickets, requisitions of goods and services based on agreements with the suppliers, office running common cost, rental and salary advances, lease agreements of UNHCR offices, etc.
- Process on-line bank transfers ensuring that bank accounts of staff and suppliers are complete.
- Liaise with other functional units who work closely with Finance Unit on relevant issues.
- If applicable, may be required to assist in the preparation of the VAT refund submissions and monitoring of the reimbursable amounts.
- Maintain efficient and timely archiving system of physical and electronic files to ensure that all documents are accounted for.
- May be assigned as the custodian of the office petty-cash.
- Draft routine correspondence.
- Verify that the financial transactions are correct and in accordance with UNHCR rules and procedures.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Years of Experience / Degree Level
- For G4 - 1 year relevant experience with High School Diploma; or Bachelor or equivalent or higher
- Field(s) of Education
- Not applicable.
- (Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- Certificates and/or Licenses
- Finance; Business Administration; Accounting;
- (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- Knowledge of MSRP PeopleSoft application or similar software. Good knowledge of UNHCR financial rules, regulations, procedures and processes. Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to the functions of the position.
- IT-Computer Literacy
- UN-UN/UNHCR Financial Rules and Regulations and Procedures
- IT-Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP)
- (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For General Service jobs:
- Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.