Under the guidance and supervision of the Finance Manager, the Finance Assistant- Retainer provides a variety of specialized finance, accounting, and clerical functions related to project accounting and financial reporting. S/he ensures high quality, accuracy and consistency of work and promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS financial rules and regulations.
S/he will work in close collaboration with the UNOPS operations, program and projects’ staff for resolving finance-related issues and information exchange.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of operational strategies
- Treasury functions
- Accounting, administrative and clerical support
- Financial Reporting
- Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Provide support to Projects in management of Operational Advances by :
- Processing of Operational Advances (OA) establishment requests ensuring compliance with the applicable UNOPS Rules, regulations and rates
- Following up urgent Operational Advance requests with IPAS finance and FG to ensure timely disbursements to the custodians.
- Support in monitoring the Tranche spending to allow processing of the next Tranche upon 80% spending burn-rate
- Support with reconciliation of Operation Advances after the end of activity, ensuring that the supporting documents are Legit, authentic and the traveling allowance paid is as per the applicable rate as agreed with the Donor .
- Assist with timely liquidation of the Operational Advances and ensure OA closures are made timely, as appropriate.
- Maintenance of accurate records (hardcopy and online) of all operational and financial transactions for ease of reference and retrieval; document management, including file closures, archiving.
- Use of technology and electronic systems and tools to initiate work, share information with project staff and stakeholders.
Provides support to Treasury, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Review of payment requests in oneUNOPS ERP for completeness to ensure that documentation is complete and all information concerning the payment has been supplied; proper accounting codes used; certification of services rendered/goods delivered is written on the payment document and duly signed by authorized officials; payment request is in compliance with terms and conditions of agreement.
- Review and confirmation of appropriateness of operational transactions processed through the interpretation and determination of applicable UNOPS policies, regulations & rules
Provides accounting, administrative and clerical support to the Finance Unit, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of Miscellaneous receipts on miscellaneous income ( AR), review of supporting documents to ensure completeness, accuracy and correctness of accounts codes used; entry of AR transactions in the computerized accounting and finance system.
- Monitoring of financial recorded expenditures and related contributions to ensure timely and accurate accounting information.
- Communication with colleagues/clients in areas requiring verification, corrections, additional information, etc. to improve quality of output and/or account submission and increase knowledge base in the process.
- Monitoring of cash requirements to ensure adequate cash to meet current payment requests.
- Ensure the maintenance of a good filing and archiving system for the purpose of achieving quick reference and up-to-date financial records.
Ensures accurate financial reporting, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Reconciliation of expenditures recorded in oneUNOPS.
- Assistance to Project Managers with oneUNOPS reporting and analysis.
- Provision of ad-hoc financial reports as needed including for Year-End closure.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the training for the operations/ projects staff on Finance.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- The key results have an impact on the overall execution of the UNOPS financial services. Accurate data entry and presentation of financial information and a client-oriented approach enhances UNOPS’ capability to effectively and efficiently manage financial resources.
- A secondary school certificate or equivalent qualification is required;
- University degree or diploma or certification in related subjects; accounting, business administration or related areas is desirable but not required.
- A minimum of four (4) years of relevant finance experience at the national or international level is required;
- A minimum of one (1) year of knowledge and experience in Accounting Reconciliation or cash management or/and ERP systems or a combination of any two or the three of the above skills is required;
- Knowledge and experience in Accounting and Financial Reporting is desired;
- Experience in the use of Google Suite applications as well as in handling of web-based management systems is desirable.
- Fluency in English (writing, reading and speaking) is required.