United Nations Volunteers, Nairobi, Kenya
2 years of relevant work experience
Closing Date for Applications:
Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the Programme Officer and Portfolio Manager and in close cooperation with the Administrative and Fund Management Officers, the UNV Finance Assistant will:
- Provide support with regard to the review, analysis and preparation of the project budgets and the revisions.
- Prepare supporting documents (narrative and supporting tables) with respect to GEF and GCF submissions and UNEP Programme of Work.
- Assist in preparing contractual documents for Executing Agencies.
- Monitor expenditures and compare with approved budgets; prepare adjustments as necessary.
- Assist in preparation of budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance reports, analyse variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
- Monitor integrity of various financial databases.
- Verify accuracy of input data, ensuring consistency of data.
- Periodic reconciliation of accounts.
- Review cash advance requests and upon certification by the fund management officer prepare payments for final disbursement by cashier.
- Review incoming expenditure reports and upon certification by the fund management officer input in relevant databases/systems.
- Notify payees on status of payments.
- Assist fund management officers regarding queries on budget, payment and deposit related issues and draft related correspondence.
- Maintain updated files and archives as required.
- Prepare project completion and closing revisions including all supporting documents.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
Required degree level
- Bachelor degree or equivalent
Educational additional comments
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant area, e.g. finance or area related to business administration;
- At least 2 years of professional work experience at the national and/or international level in financial analysis, or other relevant programmes; experience in working on GEF or GCF projects is an asset, as is experience working in the UN or other international development organization;
- Additional experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems;
- Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills;
- Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Sound security awareness;
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent