Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS), Ghana Operational Hub based in Accra – Ghana with Country Offices in Gambia, Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone. UNOPS GHOH has developed a compelling solid reputation across the globe in the delivery of its core mandates in the areas of Project Management, Infrastructure and Procurement.
What drives us is a passion to fight inequalities and to provide opportunities to those most vulnerable. This means we often work in the most challenging environments, building foundations for communities to function and people to live with dignity and respect. To succeed here, you'll need to be able to combine creativity with the organizational skills to manage numerous different projects to tight deadlines simultaneously, as well as working with the different units to meet their expectations.
We are therefore, looking for intellectually curious talented qualified Ghanaians with solid Financial Management acumen with stakeholder focus to join the team as Finance Assistant for the Ghana Office.
Things happen quickly at UNOPS- Ghana Operational Hub and the work culture encourages you to be an enthusiastic team player - a self-starter who can work cross-functionally and isn't frightened to take risks or try out new ways of doing things within UNOPS.
Under the direct supervision of the functional supervisor(s) who report to the Head of Support Services, the Finance Assistant will provide financial and administrative support to the timely processing, recording, monitoring, and maintaining of financial transactions and accounts relating to payments and receipts in accordance with UNOPS’ financial rules, regulations, policies, and processes.
Functions / Key Results Expected
Summary of Key Functions:
Accounting and administrative support
CO cash management
- Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing
- Accounting and administrative support
- Provides accounting, payments, support, focusing on achievement of following results:
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for projects; preparation of vouchers for projects; PO vouchers; Pay Cycle and payment execution.
- Proper receipting of goods and services and establishment of accruals.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Enterprise system; travel claims, MPOs and other entitlements are duly processed
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
- Presentation of information on the status of financial resources as required.
- Maintenance of the Accounts Receivables for projects and recording of deposits in Enterprise system
- Preparation of accounts-payable and PO vouchers for management projects.
- Review of payment requests including supporting documents against the annual work plan and UNOPS FRRs.
- Ensuring that vouchers processed are matched and completed, and transactions are correctly recorded and posted in ERP/electronic or paper-based systems.
- Running of remittance cycle and Creation of Remittance Advices to be sent to the bank
CO cash management
Ensures proper CO cash management system functioning focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Alternate to Finance Associate for timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements. Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
- Alternate to Finance Associate for daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in Enterprise system to monitor imprest level; identification and recording of contributions.
- Management of cash receipts and petty cash.
- Timely and accurate preparation of bank reconciliations.
- Initiation of bank transfers and deals in Enterprise system.
Knowledge building and Knowledge sharing
- Support the organization and delivery of training and learning initiatives for personnel on finance-related topics.
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in finance management support services
- Contribute feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively.
Impact of Results
The effective and successful achievement of results by the Finance Assistant directly impacts the efficient and effective management of financial resources in projects and programmes, demonstrating UNOPS’ effective stewardship of donor and partner funds. These promote the credibility of the organization as an effective service provider in project services and management.
- Secondary School Certificate is required.
- Applicants with Technical/Professional Diploma Certification with 2 years professional experience will be considered.
- Applicants with a Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics or related field is an asset and will be considered.
- Applicants with Master's Degree will be an asset and will also be considered.
- A minimum of four (4) years of relevant working experience within the areas of Accounting or related field is required.
- Knowledge of UNOPS financial rules and regulations; working knowledge of ERP (particularly Agresso), experience with MS Office 2003/or newer versions, and financial management, using electronic systems, environment and are desired.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset.