Based in Copenhagen, Denmark, the UNOPS Integrated Practice Advice and Support (IPAS) serves all the regions and headquarters, primarily with advice and solutions to everyday implementation challenges. IPAS consists of a diverse team of subject matter experts in the six practice areas of HR, Administration, Legal, Finance, Procurement, Project Management and Infrastructure. IPAS has three main roles:
Support to operations in the field offices: IPAS provides timely advice and supports actively finding of solutions to everyday implementation challenges, based on policy and best practices. It also provides operational support in specific areas.
- Business efficiency: IPASrecommends changes to policies, processes and operating standards based on the feedback and experience of the field offices. IPAS also ensures transparent and efficient project implementation, in line with policy and business needs.
- Body of knowledge: IPAS contributes to research and coordination within the policy groups and project practitioners. It provides structured knowledge and subject matter expertise which is used across practice areas to provide coherent and tailored advice to the requesting offices.
IPAS Finance supports UNOPS Country Offices in all aspects of UNOPS finances. Our four major areas of support are:
- Engagement & budgeting advisory support
- Project reporting & closure advisory support
- Corporate Financial reporting support
- Banking & treasury support
BACKGROUND INFORMATION - JOB-SPECIFIC
- UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner. Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations. A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
- As part of the Treasury & Banking Middle Office team within IPAS Finance, and under the supervision of the Finance Specialist, the incumbent will work primarily providing operational support and compliance on banking, and project cash management to field offices. The incumbent will keep a balance between operational implementation efficiencies and policy/rules requirements. He/she will also contribute towards innovative solutions by channeling practical recommendations for improvements in policies and processes for efficient banking.
Summary of functions:
- The incumbent will provide operational support in treasury management on the following areas:
- Project cash management
- Knowledge and team management
- Assist in the review of monthly reconciliations of UNOPS bank accounts to ensure compliance with UNOPS rules and procedures;
- Execute payment instructions by preparing transfer orders, bank instructions and cheques for investments, treasury activities, replenishments and payments in general;
- Support the onboarding of new bank accounts (SWIFT connectivity), scenario testing, penny testing, and go-live in collaboration with ICT;
- Assist in the maintenance of the payment matrix to route and dispatch payments successfully and cost-effectively;
- Assist with the year-end closure process and in the preparation of the year end financial statements;
- Assist in monitoring and overseeing bank charges postings of HQ and field offices; establish internal control procedures to ensure their nature and proper recording.
Project cash management
- Assist in the review and clearance of requests for the establishment of project cash management instruments (e.g., operational advances, petty cash, credit and prepaid cards, prepayments, mobile payments and cash delivery);
- Assist in the monitoring of operational advances, petty cash accounts and prepayments;
- Support in the review of requests for establishment of petty cash accounts and operational advances;
- Review reconciliations and settlements of petty cash accounts and operational advances;
- Respond to queries from field offices related to project cash management;
- Keeps track of the operational advances, petty cash, and the related procedures and settlements along with the aging analysis.
Knowledge and team management
- Assist in the preparation of training to personnel on processes, rules/policies, and systems;
- Contribute to product designs and implementation;
- Recommend solutions and process efficiency initiatives;
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of corporate systems and tools.
- Completion of secondary / high school is required;
- Higher degree (Bachelor's or Master's) in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Business Administration, International Business, Management or other finance-related field is considered an asset and can be a substitute for some years of relevant working experience;
- Relevant certification in financial management or accounting a distinct advantage.
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant working experience (with a secondary / high school diploma) within the areas of finance, accounting, business administration or related field is required;
- Knowledge of UNOPS financial rules and regulations is an asset;
- Working knowledge of ERP is a plus;
- Banking or project cash management experience is desirable;
- Experience using single and multi bank platforms is a benefit;
- Some experience in dealing with UN organizations is desirable.
- Full working knowledge of English and French is required.