The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
To coordinate and provide finance, budget and administration support services involving the recording and interpretation of financial and budgetary information to ensure the efficient functioning of the support services and inform decision making.
Incumbent is expected to demonstrate responsibility and initiative to respond independently to queries with only general guidance. There is a requirement to use judgment in dealing with unforeseen problems on a daily basis. Job holder is expected to manage resources and coach and coordinate a team of support staff, or specific support service(s).
Based in Dushanbe Country Office, under the general supervision of the Head of Admin/Finance Unit the incumbent reports to the Snr. Finance Associate.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (NOT ALL-INCLUSIVE)
- Provide the procedural and technical support to staff within the areas of finance and budget, to ensure compliance with WFP financial policies, rules and regulations.
- Support the development and implementation of financial policies and procedures and assist in setup and implementation of proper accounting procedures, systems and internal controls.
- Conduct financial assessment of cooperating partners. Conduct a financial spot checks of jointly implemented projects.
- Perform Micro Financial Assessment of Financial Service Providers and Macro Financial Assessment of the Country financial sector based on WFP criteria;
- Process and monitor advances to cooperating partners.
- Monitor the daily cash position in order to optimize the use of surplus cash and maximize returns on investment through the liquidity portfolio.
- Monitor the centralised registry system in order to process all payments to internal staff and invoices to external suppliers in a timely manner and in accordance with WFP standards.
- Contribute to the preparation, implementation and monitoring of budgets, monitor expenditure and budget forecasts, to ensure that relevant future funding requirements are met.
- Monitor and analyse general ledger accounts in order to initiate and achieve corrective actions.
- Compile data from the WFP database and systems in order to assist in generating and analysing financial reports on a monthly basis.
- Allocate tasks to other support staff, provide guidance and on-the-job training in management of financial resources (e.g. managing the petty cash/sub-imprest account, review and analyse vendor and balance sheet accounts, etc.), to ensure services are delivered consistently and to the required standards.
- Remain on stand-by and follow standard emergency preparedness practices in order to meet immediate emergency requirements for further service on the job and in the field.
- Perform other related duties, as required.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Four years of progressively responsible support work experience in finance and accounting, including experience in the field of audit, compliance, administrative services or another related field.
- Formal training in Finance and Accounting. Knowledge of WFP administrative manuals in the area of finance, budget, human resources, transport, procurement or travel; General knowledge of UN system administrative policies, rules, regulations and procedures in the area of administration.
- Good interpersonal skill, sound judgement, ability to extract, interpret, analyse and resolve operational problems;
- Good knowledge and experience in utilising computers, including word processing, spreadsheet and other WFP standard software packages and systems;
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, strong trouble-shooting and communication skills;
- Ability to work hard and effectively in emergency situations and under the pressure; strong organizational skills to keep and implement several tasks as per identified priorities;
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Education: Completion of secondary school education. University degree in relevant field is desirable.
- Experience in conducting financial assessment of private and/or non-governmental organizations, financial service providers and country financial sector;
- Experience working with auditors and other third party vendors.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English and Tajik. Fluency in Russian is an advantage.