Based in Copenhagen, Denmark, the UNOPS Integrated Practice Advice and Support (IPAS) serves all the regions and headquarters, primarily with advice and solutions to everyday implementation challenges. IPAS consists of a diverse team of subject matter experts in the six practice areas of HR, Administration, Legal, Finance, Procurement, Project Management and Infrastructure. IPAS has three main roles:
Support to operations in the field offices: IPAS provides timely advice and supports actively finding of solutions to everyday implementation challenges, based on policy and best practices. It also provides operational support in specific areas.
Business efficiency: IPASrecommends changes to policies, processes and operating standards based on the feedback and experience of the field offices. IPAS also ensures transparent and efficient project implementation, in line with policy and business needs.
Body of knowledge: IPAS contributes to research and coordination within the policy groups and project practitioners. It provides structured knowledge and subject matter expertise which is used across practice areas to provide coherent and tailored advice to the requesting offices.
- IPAS Finance supports UNOPS Country Offices in all aspects of UNOPS finances. Our four major areas of support are:
- Engagement & budgeting advisory support
- Project reporting & closure advisory support
- Corporate Financial reporting support
Banking & treasury support
As part of the Treasury & Banking Middle Office team within IPAS Finance, and under the supervision of the Finance Specialist, the incumbent will work closely with Country Offices, primarily providing operational support on banking, and project cash management. The incumbent will keep a balance between operational implementation efficiencies and policy/rules requirements. He/she will also contribute towards innovative solutions by channeling practical recommendations for improvements in policies and processes.
Summary of functions:
- The incumbent will provide support in treasury management on the following areas:
- Project cash management
- Knowledge and team management
- Assist in the review of monthly reconciliations of UNOPS bank accounts to ensure compliance with UNOPS rules and procedures;
- Execute payment instructions by preparing transfer orders, bank instructions and cheques for investments, treasury activities, replenishments and payments in general;
- Support the onboarding of new bank accounts (SWIFT connectivity), scenario testing, penny testing, and go-live in collaboration with ICT.
- Assist in the maintenance of the payment matrix to route and dispatch payments successfully and cost-effectively;
- Assist to the year-end closure process and in the preparation of the year end financial statements;
- Assist in monitoring and oversee bank charges postings of HQ and field offices; establish internal control procedures to ensure their nature and proper recording;
- Assist in the execution of daily financial transactions, cheques for investments, and treasury activities.
- Assist in the review and confirmation of financial transactions in compliance with UNOPS investment policy;
- Reconcile deals made by the front office (FG-Treasury);
- Contribute to the maintenance the treasury management system core data, counterparts, user access,etc.
- Assist the Front Office Treasury Team with processing and managing bank guarantees, Letters of Credit, and other trade finance products.
Project cash management
- Assist in the review and clearance of requests for the establishment of project cash management instruments (e.g., operational advances, petty cash, credit and prepaid cards, prepayments, mobile payments and cash delivery);
- Assist in the monitoring operational advances, petty cash accounts, prepayments, bank guarantees, credit cards, prepaid cards;
- Review reconciliations and settlements of petty cash accounts and operational advances.
- Respond to queries from field offices related to project cash management.
- Keep track of the operational advances, petty cash, and the related procedures and settlements along with the aging analysis
- Assist in the preparation of training to personnel on processes, rules/policies, and systems;
- Contribute to product designs and implementation;
- Recommend solutions and process efficiency initiatives;
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of corporate systems and tools.
- Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others.
- Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- High school diploma / secondary education is required;
- Higher degree (Bachelor's or Master's) in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Business Administration, International Business, Management or other finance-related field is considered an asset and can be a substitute for some years of relevant working experience.
- Minimum 6 years of experience in Finance is required (if in possession of secondary / high school diploma)
- Banking or project cash management experience is a mandatory requirement; experience in middle office/back office operations is a big plus;
- Knowledge of Securities (Fixed Income and Money Markets) transaction processing is an advantage;
- Experience using a TMS is desirable;
- Experience using single and multi bank platforms is a benefit
- Experience using Finastra/CMS is a benefit;
- Some experience in dealing with UN organizations is desirable.
- Full working knowledge of English
- Knowledge of French and Spanish would be an asset.