JOB PURPOSE: WFP Cameroon in seeking a Finance Associate to coordinate and provide finance and budget services involving the recording and interpretation of financial and budgetary information to ensure the efficient functioning of the support services and inform decision-making. The incumbent is expected to manage resources and coach team of support staff or specific support service (s).
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive, within delegated authority):
Under direct supervision of the National Finance Officer and overall supervision of Head of Finance and Administration, the Finance Associate will among other tasks perform the following activities:
- Provide the procedural and technical support to staff within the areas of finance and budget, to ensure compliance with WFP financial policies, rules and regulations.
- Monitor invoice tracking system (ITS) to process invoices to external suppliers in a timely manner and in accordance with WFP standards.
- Co-ordinate with other teams to ensure that all financial and administrative services are being performed efficiently and in line with the needs of the wider team.
- Monitor account balances and process financial transactions in an accurate and timely manner, to avoid the occurrence of an overdraft.
- Monitor and analyze general ledger accounts in order to initiate and achieve corrective actions.
- Compile data from the WFP database and systems in order to assist in generating and analyzing financial reports on a monthly basis.
- Manage Petty Cash accounts (Country Office & Sub-Offices / Manage individual cash payments, enter Cash journal in Wings and prepare replenishments);
- Allocate tasks to other support staff, provide guidance and on-the-job training in management of financial resources (e.g. managing the petty cash/sub-imprest account, review and analyze vendor and balance sheet accounts, etc.), to ensure services are delivered consistently and to the required standards.
- Ensure full support to all corridor activities (Focal point)
- Ensure full sport to UNHAS activities (Alternate)
- Any other relevant duty as may be required by the National Finance Officer or Head of Finance and Administration
4Ps Core Organizational Capabilities:
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/ ”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
- Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the Finance and accounting area will be an added value.
- A University degree in Business Administration or related fields will be an asset.
Working Languages: Fluency in either English or French and good working knowledge of the other.
Essential Experience: Over three (3) years of professional experience in Finance, Accounting, Audit or relevant fields, with great independence, decision making authority, supervision of staff and managing complex funding situation.
CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
- In-depth knowledge of financial management and reporting procedures
- Professional experience in IPSAS (International Public Sector Accounting Standards), IFRS or any other international accounting standards.
- Knowledge of internal/external audit and oversights
- Good knowledge of SAP or ERP software
- General knowledge of UN system policies, rules and regulations
- Has experience working with auditors and other third-party vendors
- Ability to work independently with minimum instructions and supervision;
- Ability to easily adapt and cope with a multicultural environment;
- Ability to work in a team, and establish effective working relations with persons of different national and cultural backgrounds;
- Good computer knowledge and skills;
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and simultaneously manage multiple tasks in an autonomous manner;
- Ability to work creatively in a busy environment on several projects simultaneously;
- Ability to handle any other additional tasks as requested by his/her supervisor.
- Excellent written and communication skills in English or French;
- High level of confidentiality and excellent customer relation;
- Commitment to continuous learning and improvement;
- Ability to monitor delivery from core manager and draw attention on variance