Background Information - IPAS
Based in Copenhagen, Denmark, the UNOPS Integrated Practice Advice and Support (IPAS) serves all the regions and headquarters, primarily with advice and solutions to everyday implementation challenges. IPAS consists of a diverse team of subject matter experts in the six practice areas of HR, Administration, Legal, Finance, Procurement, Project Management and Infrastructure. IPAS has three main roles:
Support to operations in the field offices: IPAS provides timely advice and supports actively finding of solutions to everyday implementation challenges, based on policy and best practices. It also provides operational support in specific areas.
Business efficiency: IPAS recommends changes to policies, processes and operating standards based on the feedback and experience of the field offices. IPAS also ensures transparent and efficient project implementation, in line with policy and business needs.
Body of knowledge: IPAS contributes to research and coordination within the policy groups and project practitioners. It provides structured knowledge and subject matter expertise which is used across practice areas to provide coherent and tailored advice to the requesting offices.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the IPAS Finance Advisor, the Finance Associate will work in close collaboration with the UNOPS operations, program and project staff. The incumbent will be responsible for providing transactional, advisory and oversight services while performing the following duties and responsibilities:
- Monitor recorded expenditures and related contributions to ensure timely and accurate accounting information;
- Review and confirm adjustments to the project expenditures as may be required;
- Review and confirm appropriateness of operational transactions processed as per applicable policies, regulations, rules and interpretive guidelines;
- Assist in proper closure (operational and financial) of projects and refund of unspent balances to Donors/UN Agencies.
Budgets Monitoring and Control
- Ensure budgets are in conformity with UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations & procedures of the funding source;
- Assist in the review and adjustments of project budget revisions;
- Assist in the maintenance of the budget database by verifying and inputting approved budgets;
- Review and adjusts the project expenditures/obligations against the approved budgets.
Financial Reporting and Project closure
- Assist in the implementation of reporting systems and reports to meet Funding source requirements;
- Prepare periodic financial statements to funding sources and external clients in compliance with established reporting requirements;
- Reconcile projects’ expenditure/revenues as recorded in the General Ledger on regular basis;
- Reconcile expenditures reported from Financial Dashboard;
- Assist Field Offices with Financial reporting and analysis;
- Resolve Financial Reporting system issues with Finance Practice Group and ICT at HQ;
- Provide reports as needed for year end closure activities;
- Assist field offices with the support needed relating to reporting and project closure;
- Review and prepares draft final financial statement related to project closure;
- Follow up with field offices on pending projects due for closure.
- Assist with audits and self-audits and quality assurance activities as required;
- Assist in the preparation of ad-hoc reports as requested by internal/external auditors;
- Coordinate collection of audit samples and requirements during internal/external audit exercise(s);
- Support the implementation of audit recommendations as may be required.
Treasury and Cash Management
- Review monthly reconciliations of local bank accounts and carry out analysis of cash utilizations;
- Prepare replenishments for local bank accounts;
- Maintain overview of bank account levels, cash in bank and replenishments;
- Review requests for establishment of petty cash accounts and operational advances;
- Review reconciliations and settlements of petty cash accounts ad operational advances;
- Analyze, reconcile and ensure proper closure of petty cash and operational advances timely.
- Respond to queries from Operation and Project Centres related to bank accounts and cash management;
- Keep track of the operational advances, the related procedures and settlements along with the aging analysis;
- Examine payment requests for completeness prior to processing, ensure completeness of documents and that all required procedures are fulfilled to enable the payment;
- Maintain day to day operations with the banks in the regions; perform reconciliations;
- Ensure records are updated in the appropriate software, maintain and update filing system, and perform other related duties as required.
- Secondary education / high school diploma is required;
- A university degree - Bachelor’s / Master’s or equivalent in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration is strongly preferred and can compensate for some of the required years of experience.
- Minimum 6 years of relevant work experience in the Accounting or Finance capacity (with secondary education / high school diploma);
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (G Suite/MS Office) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages is required;
- Experience in using ERP software or accounting software is required;
- Knowledge of UNOPS financial regulations and rules is considered an added asset;
- Knowledge and experience in client reporting and project financial closure is an added advantage.
- Fluency in written and oral English required;
- Knowledge of a second UN language (preferably French or Spanish) is an asset.