The Finance Associate will be supervised by the Head of Sub Office Mosul with functional supervision from the Senior Admin Officer in Branch Office Baghdad. The Head of Sub Office in Mosul in coordination with the Senior Admin Officer in Baghdad will define general work objectives and provides necessary advice and guidance.
The incumbent also refers to UNHCR Manuals and relevant policy papers on financial issues.
The incumbent assists with the processing of financial transactions. S/he keeps frequent contact with staff at various levels in the office and with bank officials to exchange information. The incumbent may supervise some support staff.
Nature of the Position:
- Assist the Head of Office in the provision of resources (material and services) necessary to support the day-to-day activities of the staff in the office.
- Provide administrative support in the areas of finance and human resources as well as up to date and accurate data and records in MSRP and other systems.
- Provide interpretation of administrative rules, regulations and procedures. Seek guidance from Supervisor where necessary
- Arrange for and/or attend meetings on day-to-day administrative matters, participate in discussions of new or revised procedures and practices, interpret and assess the impact of changes and make recommendations for follow-up action.
- Prepare, on own initiative, correspondence, reports, evaluations and justifications, as required, on general administrative or specialized tasks which may be of a confidential nature within the assigned area of responsibility.
- Assist in the preparation of office budgets and maintain necessary budgetary control records.
- In addition to general administration responsibilities, may also supervise directly or indirectly, activities concerned with office and grounds maintenance, security, transport and similar services.
- Arrange for requisition of office supplies, vehicle maintenance, office rent and equipment and arrange for control of distribution and maintenance of appropriate inventory records.
- Follow up with suppliers on a regular basis to ensure invoices are received in a timely manner, in particular at year end closure;
- Ensure travel authorizations are raised in a timely manner prior to staff undertaking travel and that staff submit online self-certification within 14 days of return from travel.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Functional Statement: (to be taken from the job description)
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
Duties: (key results that will be achieved)
- Maintain financial records and monitoring systems to record and reconcile expenditures, balances, payments, statements and other data for day-to-day transactions and reports.
- Select and enter data from a wide variety of documents, verifying accuracy by checking sources, making necessary calculations and assuring inclusion of all relevant data.
- Prepare recurring reports as scheduled and special reports as required for budget preparation, audits or other reasons.
- Advise and assist staff members, experts and consultants on all aspects of allowances, salary advances, travel claims and other financial matters, calculate and authorize payments due for claims and services.
- Maintain liaison with officials of local banks to obtain day-to-day information on exchange and interest rates, changes in procedures and regulations and matters pertaining to maintenance of office bank accounts.
- Prepare detailed cost estimates and participate in budget analysis and projections as required.
- Initiate correspondence to verify data, answer queries and obtain additional information on accounts and financial transactions, as required.
- Verify that the financial transactions are correct and in accordance with UNHCR rules and procedures.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Minimum Qualifications/ Essential:
- Degree level: High School Diploma.
- Years of Experience: 6 years relevant experience.
- High level of IT affinity (MS Office applications, People Soft).
- Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.