The DRC/DDG Somalia Programme is the largest programmes in East Africa region.
DRC/DDG is among the INGOs with the largest presence in Somalia, with country-wide programmes implemented through six main sub offices in Somaliland, Puntland, Hirran Region, Gedo Region, Bay Region and Banadir Region. Because we are there, DRC/DDG is able to respond rapidly and flexibly to recurrent crises and the needs of Somalis who are affected by humanitarian crises.
DRC/DDG supports refugees, migrants, internally displaced populations and other persons affected by crises in both urban and rural settings. DRC/DDG implements activities in Somalia in the following sectors: WASH, Shelter and Non Food Items (NFIs), Protection, Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL), Mine Action and Armed Violence Reduction (AVR). In Protection, the key programme components include Gender Based Violence (GBV) protection and response, child protection, mixed migration, programming and provision of assistance to IDP and refugee voluntary returns.
Under the supervision of the Finance Manager, the Finance Coordinator will ensure that all financial functions in the DRC/DDG Somalia Country programme including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting and grant financial management and compliance are adhered effectively and in a timely manner. The Finance Coordinator ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as DRC/DDG’s internal policies and procedures and provides support to the program management teams as required
Accounting / Finance
- Oversee and manage daily accounting and finance functions including the timely recording of transactions, cash management, banking, payroll, receivables, payables and timely submission of DRC Dynamics reports to HQ.
- Maintain banking relations and plan/monitor country cash flow requirements to ensure the smooth implementation of DRC/DDG programs.
- With the support of Country finance staff monitor regularly the petty cash floats in area offices and ensure adequate cash is in hand to support the program requirements.
- Plan and maintain oversight of co-funding requirements and share overview with Finance Manager and HOSS on quarterly basis.
- Coordinate with country Finance staff to organize & submit Finance supporting documents (Scanned and hard copies) in relevant archives (One rive/Share point etc.,) according to DRC/DDG Somalia/RO/HQ requirements.
- Coordinate with Finance/HR staff to ensure timely payment of staff salaries.
- To monitor cash flow and liquidity of the DRC/DDG country program and to ensure adequate funds are available in Area bank accounts.
- Prepare donor financial reports for RO/HQ review and ensure timely submission to the donors, ensuring quality of the reports.
- Provide monthly management reports which will include expenditures by project, sub grantee or Partners’ reporting and other financial information, in a timely and accurate manner and any other report as requested by DRC/DDG Country Director, Operations Director, Finance Manager, Regional Office, HQ etc.,
- Review and monitor partners’ financial reporting and compliance. Provide additional technical assistance to partners as necessary to maintain high standards of compliance.
- Updating of API’s for Somalia on monthly/quarterly basis.
- Provide inputs for Results Contracts.
Budget, Financial Management and Control
- Support Finance Manager to ensure that financial related information is accurate and is well maintained. This includes an overall planning, budget and control of expenditures for shared operational costs, but also coordination of budgeting and expenditure related to programme implementation.
- Support Finance Manager to implement relevant financial control tools within the country programme.
- Support the Finance Manager to develop budgets for new project proposals and budget revision in collaboration with the AOM/AOC and Program Mangers.
- Preparation and coding of new budgets and updating DRC Dynamics.
- Support Finance Manager to update Master budgets in collaboration with the Area Managers.
- Support Finance Manager to implement grant budgeting and forecasting systems for all DRC/DDG projects with the assistance of Area Managers/Program Managers and relevant team members.
- Support & supervises, audits (in-country, external), coordinate with area offices/RO/HQ to compile documents required by the auditors. If required coordinate with the auditors (based on request of the RO Compliant Specialist) on audit process.
- With support of Country Finance staff, assess needs and identify issues/gaps in Area Finance office/staff and prioritize timely practical actions to respond to particular financial issues.
- Develop technical skills of finance staff through on-job technical advice/trainings on Budgeting, Reporting and other finance duties.
- With support of Country Finance Coordinators, perform regular internal Finance audits (As per DRC/DDG Operations Handbook) and reviews as required to ensure compliance with DRC-DDG and donor requirements. Audits to be conducted on quarterly basis for all area/field offices and reports submitted to Finance Manager.
- Monitor systems for financial operations in both the main programme offices and in field offices in accordance with the DRC/DDG Operations handbook, Field Finance Manual and donor regulations, including systems for cash flow management, budgeting, consolidation of accounting information, internal controls, financial reporting & financial recordkeeping.
- Provide Technical support to Area Finance Officers and other program staff as and when required as “Technical Focal Point” for Finance department.
- Ensure Procurement policies/guidelines are followed in Finance routine work including payments documentation.
- Report to the Finance Manager of any irregularities that occur within the DRC/DDG office, staff compound and sites on DRC/DDG policy and procedures.
- Follow up on new procedures and guidelines designated in circulars from Country Director/Operations Director/Finance Manager/Regional Office and HQ.
- Support Finance Manager to identify the gaps in Finance policies to Develop local office policies and procedures and provide training for all issues related to local financial matters.
Local Tax management
- Coordinate with Country/Area FinanceThe responsibilities listed in the JD are not exhaustive and may be readjusted according to operational needs but will remain in line with the overall purpose of the role.
To be successful in this role, we expect you to be a positive, mature leader with a proven track record of developing effective initiatives, programmes, and impact.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate each of DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results through the Regional team both to position DRC and ensure excellence in all deliverables.
- Collaborating: You lead regional initiatives and processes by involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen to other stakeholders and staff; and you communicate concisely and persuasively.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- He/she should have At least 5 year’s work experience in the field of finance/accounting/ in an INGO or UN experience is preferred
- He/she should have a University degree in Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration
- He/she should possess Hands-on experience/skills in MS Excel (experience in working with formulas).
- He/she should have Experience in preparation of Donor budget and reporting for Danida/SIDA/USAID/EU/UN donors
- He/she should possess Ability to prepare basic training modules on accounting management and conduct trainings.
- He/ She should be fluent in English skills
- He/she should possess a High degree of computer literacy
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to teamwork and humanitarian principles.
- Ability to multi-task and cope with competing demands under tight deadlines.
- Identify priority activities and assignments, adjust priorities as required.
- Aptitude and openness to change, with an ability to lead change management