Purpose of the position:
To provide overall leadership and management of the EU SUPREME grant, by promoting financial stewardship, accountability, reliability and accuracy of financial information to be used by EU SUPREME and WV leadership for decision making.
To ensure grant budgets are appropriate, that grant financial reports are accurate and timely and that the project complies with donor requirements; assist with overall program budgeting and ensure operational plan is funded
Budget planning and management
- Oversee grants budget management for all implementing partners
- Consolidate funding needs of all partners and ensure funds for activity is disbursed on a timely basis
- Implement grant tracking / monitoring system.
- Monitor budget performance of the grant and ensure any significant issue is highlighted for management attention
- Build a strong and effective financial management in areas of budgeting, accounting, reporting and communicate effectively to stakeholders
Financial accountability and reporting
- Ensure appropriate and accurate grant financial reports are prepared, consolidated and submitted to stakeholders on a monthly basis.
- Monitor grant expenditures, alert management on irregularities, recommend action plan as required.
- Meet periodically with relevant Operations and Programme managers to review grant reports
- Monitor grant status, revisions, reporting, etc.
Risk Management and Controls:
- Ensure adequate preparation for both internal and external audits and ensure responses are sent on time and recommendations are implemented.
- Ensure compliance with WV financial policies and donor requirements, including LDRs, BPS, etc.
- Assess, evaluate and make recommendations on internal controls to ensure effective risk management.
- Maintain appropriate Grant files and follow up to ensure partners are doing the same.
- Train / build capacity of Grants finance staff.
- Build the financial/grants management capacity of partners to ensure sound financial management and donor requirements compliance.
- Participate/Facilitate grants startup workshops and ensure specific donor requirements are understood by both finance and program/operations staff.
Coordination & Networking:
- Coordinate with NO Finance leadership on critical issues such as funding, PBAS commitment and budget posting in Sun Systems.
- Coordinate with Supply Chain on preparation and implementation of procurement plan to facilitate urgent sourcing of project materials.
- Liaise with partners regarding grant/budgetary issues.
- Develop good networks and strategic relationships with implementing partners, other NGO,
Leadership / management:
- Participate in the senior management/ Leadership team meetings and represent finance department.
- Provide leadership to the finance department and ensure smooth running & efficient delivery of services.
- Adhere to WVI key policy documents – mission, core values, and covenant of partnership.
- Attend and participate in spiritual nurture meetings / devotions as scheduled
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- University degree in Accounting or Finance, Chartered Accountant
- 2-5 years’ experience in a senior field Finance / Accounting role, preferably with experience in a grants environment
- Ability to develop / maintain effective financial and accounting systems, including Sun Systems;
- Strong knowledge of cost allocation methodologies; knowledge of multi-lateral donor requirements;
- Good knowledge of sectorial and departmental budget linkages;
- Able to negotiate and manage budget needs and resources sharing between different sectors and departments;
- Good understanding of audit compliance requirements;
- Team player with excellent communication and strong participatory leadership skills
- Effective in written and verbal communication in English. Ability to communicate in applicable local language(s) is an added advantage
- Track record in demonstrating high integrity, innovativeness, creativity, reliability and dependable
- Proactive personality, self-driven, strongly motivated and able to work with limited supervision
- Spiritual maturity, interfaith knowledge and a biblical worldview – ability to articulate and model our Christian identity and mission in an inclusive way.
- Ensure a gender perspective in the scope of work and passion for children.