Danish Refugee Council, Amman, Jordan
Closing Date for Applications:
- The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
- The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation
- The Finance Coordinator ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as DRC’s internal policies and procedures and local Govt regulations such as tax, social security. The Finance Coordinator is directly supervising the Finance staff at the Country Office and is indirectly supervising (technical/ dotted lined supervision) the Finance staff in Field Offices. This role also provides financial support to Program staff in budgets and budget status reports.
- Under the supervision of the Head of Support Services, the Finance Coordinator will ensure that all financial functions in the country programme including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting and grant financial management and compliance are done effectively and in a timely manner.
About the job
The individual will report directly toHead of Support Services / Amman. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Manage all day to day financial matters in country office and support/advise finance teams in field offices in managing financial matters.
- In collaboration with HOSS, Area Managers & Base Managers, contribute to compliance with financial management guidelines set out in the finance chapters of DRC's Operations Handbook, country office financial guidelines and donor requirements.
- Ensure compliance with Govt of Jordan regulations and obligations including taxes, social security
- Ensure maintenance of proper and accurate accounting records and archiving of supporting documents.
- Prepare Master Budget and annual consolidated budget in collaboration with the HOSS, Area Managers, Base Managers and grants staff, and provide funding analysis of forecasts (including staffing and office costs) to HOSS.
- Support the HoSS to prepare and liaise with the Program team in preparing proposal budgets, ensure that support costs are properly recovered in those budgets and budgets meet donor requirements.
- In collaboration with the HoSS, develop and implement local office policies and procedures and provide training for all issues related to local financial matters.
- Maintain an up-to-date allocation table/overview of funding of shared/support costs and prepare monthly allocation of staffing and other shared costs in line with DRC policies.
- Prepare quality financial reports for RO/HQ review and ensure timely submission to the donors
- Implement all relevant financial control tools within the country programme.
- In collaboration with HoSS, train, support, supervise and monitor the finance staff ensuring that HQ/donor procurement guidelines are followed.
- Ensure spot check are carried on regular basis on payments ensuring compliance with DRC, donors, including proper supporting documents. For Field and Coordination offices.
- Ensure implementation of cash management procedures and regular cash counts with along with reconciliation with ledger balances.
- Supervise country wide cash flow management, including receipt of monthly cash flow projections from field offices and perform necessary requests to HQ and transfers to field offices to ensure cash and bank accounts are replenished on timely basis.
- Ensure that all transactions are properly coded to respective grants and budget lines are accurate
- Ensure the preparation of legal and tax documents for submission to government department
- Participating in cash count to ensure balance as per cashbook match with physical cash
- Review and/or Perform re-bookings and ensure availability of approvals and proper supporting documents for all adjustments.
- Maintain grant file for each project and ensure all documents including signed contract, budget, amendments and other correspondence with donors is updated.
- Maintain pre-payments and accrual file and ensure they are amortized to donors on a monthly basis
- Ensure vouchers for the whole country program are recorded, reviewed and uploaded to cashbooks.
- Ensure the Finance Department is preparing budget vs actual reports (BFUs), discuss variances and forecast with relevant program implementation staff and ensure budgets are not overspent during or after grant period
- Communicate with HQ regarding budget coding and budget revisions coding
- Follow up with donors for instalments and participate to Installment review meetings.
- Participate to Monthly BFU review meeting with HQ
- Follow up and participate on Webinars initiated by HQ on Dynamics and all Finance related topics – ensure then the relevant staffs are informed accordingly
- Ensure sub-grants instalments and expenditures are properly accounted for on time
- Support HOSS in capacity building of finance and non-finance staff to improve financial management and compliance.
- Keep abreast of the local tax laws/requirements and ensure DRC is in compliance with same
- Overall Responsible & supervision for preparation of all required documentation for financial audits in cooperation with Coordination staff and Headquarters
- Be the focal point for auditors to receive communication and provide necessary information
- Participate in final audit meetings and discussions on audit report and management letters
- Ensure final audit report is received, and distributed to all concerned managers, regional office and HQ
- Oversee the project-end procedures including the coordination with HQ.
- Seeks to streamline and make processes more efficient through the use of automated technologies and best practices;
- Manages special projects assigned by the Head of Support Services
- Participates in meetings, workshops and seminars for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform functions;
- Serve on committees as requested;
- Performs other related duties, as assigned, for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning
- When requested attend to procurement tenders.
Required / Desirable
- Master's degree in Finance/Accounting or Business Administration.
- Minimum 5 years of international practical experience in financial management
- At least three years of experience working with an INGO
- Proven experience in managing large budgets
- Competence in providing technical guidance and training
- Proven experience in working with national partners,
- Working experience with relevant donors (e.g. OCHA, GIZ, DANIDA, DFID, EU or BPRM guidelines)
- Advanced proficiency in Excel
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and a good team player.
- Highly collaborative and able to establish positive working relationships with senior level management and all other stakeholders to maximize cooperation and productivity
- Proven ability to work under pressure and meeting deadlines
- Must be able to maintain highest level of confidentiality regarding work-related information and data
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Arabic.